Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
paranoia

Paranoia
Folks as per my hello post I am coming from a bad experience with an Alfa, should have mentioned a slightly broken Mazda before that. Started noticing a whine in the car as I accelerate and the turbo spools up. It's a faint whistle that I only notice with the radio off and may always have been there. Question is probably obvious, anyone else out there with a 1.4t hear their turbo when they drive? I reckon this makes me either paranoid or the unluckiest second hand car buyer in the UK!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Our old Seat turbo started to sound like it had a faint whistle and it turned out to be a split rubber pipe, not expensive to remedy.
Cannot speak from Vauxhall terms but own a Seat Leon Cupra R , does it make a supercharger type whine ?, if so it could be a boost leak (split or crack in a hose) you can get a smoke test to check this out , otherwise it could be an early sign of the Turbo on its way out .
Spent some time on the way to work this morning playing about and it seems that in 1st the noise is not there, or at least not audible in the cabin. In 2nd it's there, just, above about 3k revs and only on full throttle. In 3rd and above its there above about 2.5k and builds with revs. not sure what all that means.

Is that not normal turbo noise?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
i agree you can hear the turbo espesally when driving around town it is normal you are over panicking
its called new car syndrome you find a fault and then lose all confidence in it haha
but to hear the turbo is normally unless you have power loss or other symptoms.
if you are thinking it is not normal you better get it checked out
I really hope you're right, as per the title there may be an element of paranoia sneaking in here. Last few motors were diesel, before that na engines. On the diesels I never heard the turbo, right up until it was about to collapse anyway. I guess with no loss of power I should probably just keep an eye on it for getting worse but I was hoping that one of the guys on here might have the same engine and be able to confirm it was normal. Appreciate the time and help guys.

Good news /bad news......

Took her in at lunch to the nearest vauxhall dealer. He had a listen, he had his mechanic have a listen and we couldn't replicate the turbo noise in their yard so they have decided it's nothing to worry about, that's the good news. Bad news was that they did hear a clicking coming from the auxiliary belt and need the car back to replace some bearings. It's still under warranty so it's no more than a pain in the bum. Here's hoping this isn't going to turn out like the last one.....

Thanks again for all your help with this.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
well its very good they are sorting it out for you and maybe you sensed there was a problem after all
just shows alway best to get a pro to look at it
every car has its problems as long as they don't happen all the time then that's just driving for you