Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
buy an j? should i astra

Should I buy an Astra J?
Hi, I am thinking about buying an Astra J Sri 1.6T or go for the 2.0 Diesel, deep down it will probably be the 1.6T. At the moment I have an Astra H VXR, but seeing as my girlfriend has older parents, I think it would be better all round to buy a 5 door car. Watching them get into and out the rear of the car was a pretty challenge for them. I have had an Insignia 2.0 Turbo before, but found that too big for my driveway (much bigger bum). So I think an Astra J would be my next choice, I would probably go for it in White if I bought one. Any issues with them I should know about before thinking about it? Thanks
Hi Mark, welcome to Vxoc. Depends what you're after really but I have the 2.0cdti and love it! I also have it in white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't do a great deal of miles, it's a shame they did not do a 5 door version 2.0 Turbo. That would have made me happier ?. Thanks for the welcome
(9:th-May-2016, 21:21:55)markmk Wrote: I don't do a great deal of miles, it's a shame they did not do a 5 door version 2.0 Turbo. That would have made me happier ?. Thanks for the welcome
Well they do the 2 litre bi turbo... That's pretty bad ass!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

(9:th-May-2016, 21:23:13)sheppy1 Wrote:
(9:th-May-2016, 21:21:55)markmk Wrote: I don't do a great deal of miles, it's a shame they did not do a 5 door version 2.0 Turbo. That would have made me happier ?. Thanks for the welcome
Well they do the 2 litre bi turbo... That's pretty bad ass!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Yeah true, they have an exhaust on each side if I remember right. Not sure a diesel would be best for me, it would hardly get used.
It's not necessarily about how many miles you do, it's also the type of journeys you make and your style of driving. If you do town driving with lots of stopping and starting and you like to put your foot down the mpg on the 1.6T will not be good at all. It's horses for courses really, whichever you choose you will be happy, just look for the best spec on you can possibly afford as adding things later on are costly and can be a pain in the ar5e to do.

I wouldn't opt for anything less than a SRi spec if I were you, elite if possible. Look for something with a factory sat nav if you can find one, auto lights and wipers are a nice extra. The elite models have most of the luxury extras that's why I would advise to get one of them if possible as it's easier to lower and add alloys at a later date (if you prefer a sportier look) than it is to add the luxuries to a lower spec model.
Can recommend the 2.0 Cdti Sri. In white of course.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Yes. Resonable alternative too other cars in the middle class and better price then Volvos V-series. So far I am pretty happy with my Astra estate wagon, only relative small issues that I get grumpy about but its ok for the money I saved. I have 1.7 diesel engine and it is slow but enough for daily commute... who cares about the stress and jerks who are late to sit infront of the TV - stupidbox. Think 2.0 engine is better mpg.

+ Looks good. Cheap services and parts (so far). Comfortable with sports seats. Feels safe to drive.

- So-so quality.. Check for rust. Road noise.
(11:th-May-2016, 18:01:06)hejhopp123 Wrote: So-so quality.. Check for rust. Road noise.

Rust? Already lol. I have just sold my VXR so looking for a new car
The gearbox on the 1.6T would be a very weak point using the M32 box, the 2.0CDTI uses the F40 box.

I have the 2.0cdti and I've only covered 22K in 4 yrs not had any DPF issues.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
There's a nice black 2011 2.0 cdti SRI with VX styling pack that has done 54k miles, has 19" alloys and has sight and light pack and AFL which costs an absolute fortune on autotrader now for £7k. That is the kind of spec I would be looking for now, you can also add full heated leather interior for around £400-£450 at a later date if required.
Build quality wise they are good, just watch what features your are getting, do NOT buy the nasp 1.4/1.6
I would be going for a White one with VXR styling . I have also been looking at the MK6 Golf 2.0 TDI GT and Audi A3 2.0 Diesels. It's between those 3 I will be going for. What would you recommend me get? I was also looking at the BMW 118D as well, but I think it's probably going to be the Astra
(29:th-Jun-2016, 20:03:01)markmk Wrote:
(11:th-May-2016, 18:01:06)hejhopp123 Wrote: So-so quality.. Check for rust. Road noise.

Rust? Already lol. I have just sold my VXR so looking for a new car

Yes, but some of it is around wheel arches so gravel & salt is the problem.. but still. Also rust is coming from under lamps and one thing in the middle of the roof... cant belive it.

Pics can be brought tomorrow cause now its dark soon. 

Know several 90s Volvo that has comparable amount of rust on them and more mil on the meter, I would call it a disaster.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The new model astra: my time with astra has ended umognog 9 4,277 14:th-Jul-2019, 10:02:01
Last Post: vocky
  Vauxhall Astra SamuelLee 2 3,267 28:th-Dec-2017, 06:52:53
Last Post: SamuelLee