Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
squealing

Squealing
Right. Driving the Astra along the motorway Tuesday and heard a high pitch squeal applied brakes stopped. Then today coming home from work on A roads. Squealing has returned more and more. Apply brakes and stops. Any ideas people?
(5:th-May-2016, 16:22:18)Danny Talbot Wrote: Right. Driving the Astra along the motorway Tuesday and heard a high pitch squeal applied brakes stopped. Then today coming home from work on A roads. Squealing has returned more and more. Apply brakes and stops. Any ideas people?

Hi Danny, 

assuming you mean the brake squeal, here is the thread covering how to stop it:

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How...al-Astra-J

Hope this helps
Ye I had a look at pads today and they have loads left so I'm hoping It just needs a Gd clean
I found a fix but didn't last too long back to squealing again from what I can make out the rear shims are the problem I just need to get some time to have a good clean up and slip some copper grease on the shims to if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Mine make a right noise when I reverse and apply the brake, pads and disks seem fine to me, seems to stick on one side kinda hard to explain.

(6:th-May-2016, 07:45:49)irmartyn Wrote: Mine make a right noise when I reverse and apply the brake, pads and disks seem fine to me, seems to stick on one side kinda hard to explain.

Mine only do it when reversing I believe the rear pads are getting stuck on the shims.

You can't buy rear shims separate from Vauxhall but there is a kit on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTRA...SwyjBW8S16
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
(6:th-May-2016, 08:26:11)Rusty2009 Wrote:
(6:th-May-2016, 07:45:49)irmartyn Wrote: Mine make a right noise when I reverse and apply the brake, pads and disks seem fine to me, seems to stick on one side kinda hard to explain.

Mine only do it when reversing I believe the rear pads are getting stuck on the shims.

You can't buy rear shims separate from Vauxhall but there is a kit on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTRA...SwyjBW8S16

I'll give them a go when I'm changing the back pads, hopefully it sorts it out, it's not all the time just now and again but it's from one side only which confused me at first was going to wait till August see if VX would notice when in for service and MOT
Don't use copper grease on shims it will perish the rubber on the shims use silicone grease I did do a how to for this have a look
(6:th-May-2016, 15:03:33)tucpal Wrote: Don't use copper grease on shims it will perish the rubber on the shims use silicone grease I did do a how to for this have a look

The shims don't have any rubber they are metal, I do have silicone grease also.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
haha i thought you were on about the slider pins
but ceratec is much better than copper grease for sure here is the how to
you can get new shims if you buy genuine pad set they came with my ones

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How...al-Astra-J