Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
manchester hello here sth newbie

Hello Sth Manchester newbie here
Hello all I have found some posts here very useful already and thought I should formally join so I could show my appreciation. I have a '62 plate 2.0 CDTI Sport Tourer which I have had for about 6 weeks now. Generally I'm really happy with the car but I have a few minor issues which I'm hoping to resolve....
A little background, I have been running a Skoda Octavia tdi for the last 8 Years and it was a fine and noble steed, but eventually it's "issues" with the vnt turbo meant it was time for a change... prior to that I had an older older Astra 1.7 tdi (with the Vx engine) not sure of the correct model name but it was a P Plate.... we got the Skoda when the 1.7 diesel engine let go for a second time... (it always felt weak....)
So anyway I'm loving the power the CDTI delivers but find a significant lag when changing up the box.. (this may be that I am familiar with the VAG engine in the Skoda which just poured on torque from about 1400 rpm with virtually no lag) but my new astra seems to always need to spin the turbo back up after a gear change .. so am I driving it wrong? Does it need to spin a bit faster before changing up to keep the boost "on"? - I understand this engine is effectively the Alfa JTD unit... being Italian (&16V) does it just need to be revved higher? Or is this lag indicative of an issue with EGR/Turbo...? Oh forgot to mention, it's done 40K miles..
Other than that I have already fitted a Witter tow bar - which was a voyage of discovery but we'll perhaps come to that later.. but thanks to Rusty & Tucpals posts on the subject I managed to get the wiring all operational.
Next job on the list is procuring some nice roof bars without breaking the piggy bank.. any suggestions?

Cheers

Dwightladd

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
welcome,
Welcome along to the forum

I too found my 2.0 cdti a little laggy prior to fitting a tuning box

I imagine that the 2.0cdti is actually a pretty old design of engine and maybe thats why its power delivery and emissions are a little off the pace

One of my friends has just purchased a E220cdi Merc, 2.1 diesel, 170bhp/295lbft, 7 speed autobox, weighs at least 300kg more than the Astra and yet emits less co2
Thanks for the input Andy, I'm interested to hear your experience, you find the tuning box improves the throttle response at lower revs... which is what I want to hear, and why I'm considering investing, but I guess I was interested to hear if there are any known/common issues which present as a laggy response as I want to be sure there are no problems before I start loading the system further with chips etc,- I've seen some talk about egr's and have had issues with them in the past....

with the dtuk pedal box and the bluespark pro boost tuning box the 2.0 cdti is now very responsive
and very impressive total transformation from standard.
(5:th-Apr-2016, 06:16:25)tucpal Wrote: with the dtuk pedal box and the bluespark pro boost tuning box the 2.0 cdti is now very responsive
and very impressive total transformation from standard.
Have you got both mate?

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
Thanks for that info tucpal. .. So I've had a look at the bluespark and the pedal box, the bluespark seems to be a good option bit I'm struggling to justify the money for the pedal box as it would appear to simply act as a virtual non linear cam for the throttle, surely one would just need to depress the pedal further to gain the same position signal to the ecu.... I don't think I can justify that kind of money to save me moving my foot an extra 30mm... or am I missing something? (Wouldn't be the first time!) Additionally when asking the engine to deliver 100% presumably one would have the pedal fully down anyway... that said I can see how the steeper transient curve would marginally reduce the lag going up the box and for downchange blip &
/ double declutch with heel toe braking (I learned to drive in an old mini and never lost the habit)
....What setting do you normally have the bluespark on then?

there are 5 maps on the bluespark pro boost and 9 fine tune adjustments
i like map 4 plus 8 on the fine tune on a day to day run
but i also like map 5 plus 8 both are very good settings.

the pedal box speeds up the signal from the pedal to the throttle rather than just moving the position
there a bargain second hand but as you say expensive new
I'll have to keep my eyes open on the fleabay then I guess... so that lag is just an atribute of the standard map huh okay. I don't think I've settled into the car yet to fully optimise my changes.. mostly I suspect this is from the ingrained habits from my previous car. Thanks for the insight.

Hello and welcome mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiah and welcome
Astra J BiTurbo
Thank you all for the warm welcome, .... -so I've already learned a bunch and procured a race chips box (thanks Andy) so I'll try to get that fitted this weekend and report back with my findings.
Have a great weekend everyone!

Its a simple job fitting the tuning box, I found the biggest bugger was getting the damn engine cover back on, glad it arrived safely, enjoy !
Funny you should mention the engine cover.... how on earth do you get it off? I've had a go but can find ne evidence of clips or fixtures... I'm a bit nervous to just swing on it for fear of damaging it.. what am I missing? Do I just need to grow a pair and pull on it.. if so where to hold it..?

Just pull it up mate, I was wary at first but yeah it's a little stiff at first but just pops off

Thank You! .... watch this space...

Done! :-) ... just needs to warm up and have a test drive now....

(10:th-Apr-2016, 15:11:26)Dwightladd Wrote: Thank You! .... watch this space...

Done! :-) ... just needs to warm up and have a test drive now....

Hopefully you will notice a difference
So Race Chip fitted, today i have learned that the engine cover is clipped in place (good to know) & apparently when the bonnet is lifted the ecu limits engine performance ... presumably as a safety measure which seems sensible but worried me considerably having just fitted the chip and started it up only to find max revs at about 3.5K rpm! ... so I tried shutting the bonnet and voila it has a nice crackle when you blip it now :-)
I've Only had a quick squirt up around the M'way but even just driving down to the junction it feels more eager and responsive the increased torque shows in much better indicated mpg when climbing hills in 6th ... I'll have a better idea after tomorrow as I have to drive across derbyshire and back .... perhaps the snake pass on the way back though the speed limit has sort of ruined it now...

(10:th-Apr-2016, 15:07:48)Tonto Wrote: Just pull it up mate, I was wary at first but yeah it's a little stiff at first but just pops off

Not like my old Focus then which used to fall off just by looking at it.

(10:th-Apr-2016, 17:48:54)Dwightladd Wrote: So Race Chip fitted, today i have learned that the engine cover is clipped in place (good to know) & apparently when the bonnet is lifted the ecu limits engine performance ... presumably as a safety measure which seems sensible but worried me considerably having just fitted the chip and started it up only to find max revs at about 3.5K rpm! ... so I tried shutting the bonnet and voila it has a nice crackle when you blip it now :-)
I've Only had a quick squirt up around the M'way but even just driving down to the junction it feels more eager and responsive the increased torque shows in much better indicated mpg when climbing hills in 6th ... I'll have a better idea after tomorrow as I have to drive across derbyshire and back .... perhaps the snake pass on the way back though the speed limit has sort of ruined it now...

Sounds good mate. A few people seem to be having positive experiences with these devices. Let us know how it effects your mpg

I don't think I'll be able to provide any objective mpg comparisons for a while as my driving style had changed somewhat since fitting the race chip. Thanks again to Andy for finding a nice clean effective setting. My impression is that on the motorway the increased torque seems to significantly improve the mpg but I don't currently do many long runs to get a proper take on the true mpg. But I do have job coming up in the lakes so that will change... loving the eager delivery.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie geoffsnook 1 1,538 12:th-Sep-2021, 13:25:41
Last Post: Rusty2009
  New newbie Gavinsig 4 2,441 8:th-Sep-2020, 09:24:37
Last Post: marktourino
  Newbie Nubby 1 2,207 20:th-Jul-2020, 07:00:41
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Newbie BazMB 2 2,714 2:nd-Jun-2020, 11:48:08
Last Post: BazMB
  Newbie! Stacker 5 2,994 25:th-May-2020, 16:13:52