Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
hello another newbie

Hello....another newbie
Hi,
Just found this site via Astra Sport/AOC (where I have been for 10 years)

Owned 6 or 7 Astra's, still got two MK4's but am now very seriously looking at a GTC as mine is getting a bit long in the tooth (221,000+ miles)

Not sure if I should get LTD Edition 2.0 CDTi or not.....
welcome to vxoc

sounds like a good choice
Welcome

Good choice there especially if you do moon miles like that in a car.
Welcome along to the forum
(31:st-Mar-2016, 20:10:40)bruce_19 Wrote: Welcome

Good choice there especially if you do moon miles like that in a car.

Thanks. The current MK4 is Dual Fuel/LPG but the gas system packed up recently, already spent way more on the car than its worth, hence deciding to call it quits and get a GTC

I do around 450 miles a week usually with an 80 mile commute to work so a high MPG diesel seems to be the way to go.
I love my GTC the MPG on petrol is no where near what Vauxhall claim but I do about 70 miles a week so it isn't too important to me the MPG. You do in a week what takes me a month and a half to cover that is crazy.

We love our cars so are always going to spend way more than they are worth but that's what being an enthusiast is all about haha.
(1:st-Apr-2016, 09:24:07)bruce_19 Wrote: I love my GTC the MPG on petrol is no where near what Vauxhall claim but I do about 70 miles a week so it isn't too important to me the

VX say the 2.0 CDTi will do 60mpg, how far off do you think that will be then?
most people tend to get late 40s early 50s if carefull
(1:st-Apr-2016, 09:27:56)neilll Wrote:
(1:st-Apr-2016, 09:24:07)bruce_19 Wrote: I love my GTC the MPG on petrol is no where near what Vauxhall claim but I do about 70 miles a week so it isn't too important to me the

I have a 2.0cdti GTC and done just over 113k miles as my work commute used to be 140 miles a day... mid 40s is what you will get realistically.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
(1:st-Apr-2016, 09:48:31)J1ODYA Wrote: I have a 2.0cdti GTC and done just over 113k miles as my work commute used to be 140 miles a day... mid 40s is what you will get realistically.

Can you not get them mapped to increase MPG then?

There used to be a guy in Long Eaton (Tuned & Styled) who remapped ECU's for big MPG gain....dunno if he is still around?
I'm trying different thing on mine to increase the MPG but like I say it isn't too much a problem for me I just want to see what can be done to help but mine is a Petrol so unfortunately it wont really be of help to you.
You can map them, but I've never seen BIG gains... if MPG is important to you then look to get a different car IMO

Using Tapatalk
(1:st-Apr-2016, 12:24:49)J1ODYA Wrote: You can map them, but I've never seen BIG gains... if MPG is important to you then look to get a different car IMO

Different as in not the 2.0 CDTi or different as in not a GTC?

MPG is important due to the mileage I do....but I do love Astra's...the new shape doesn't really do it for me apart from the GTC!!
Welcome to VXOC
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(1:st-Apr-2016, 12:30:51)neilll Wrote:
(1:st-Apr-2016, 12:24:49)J1ODYA Wrote: You can map them, but I've never seen BIG gains... if MPG is important to you then look to get a different car IMO

Different as in not the 2.0 CDTi or different as in not a GTC?

MPG is important due to the mileage I do....but I do love Astra's...the new shape doesn't really do it for me apart from the GTC!!
As in do not look at the Astra.... in fact I do not know any Vauxhall good on MPG.

Using Tapatalk

Nowhere near that! Mid 40s to early 50s if you drive like jesus.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
Hiah and welcome
Astra J BiTurbo

My 5 door 2.0ddti gets 35mpg town driving, best I've had was 43mpg on a run.

However a couple lads on Facebook page have seen 60mpg daily..

(6:th-Apr-2016, 19:10:16)Tonto Wrote:

how heavy is your foot
(6:th-Apr-2016, 19:21:10)mrtc Wrote:
(6:th-Apr-2016, 19:10:16)Tonto Wrote:

how heavy is your foot

Umm hehe.. Very! But seriously I do mainly town (traffic) driving daily, 10mile each way!

i had a c2 vts, my ex could get 42 mpg, i never got passed 28 oops
I still remember mentioning mpg to my dad a few years ago and his response was "I couldn't tell you what it is I just put in fuel when I drive past a garage and it's below half"

For the miles your doing I would look for a car with good mpg but I would have to weigh it up against the looks of the car and the feel when driving. I used to do about 400 miles a week in my Impreza and just like my dad I didn't bother about mpg.

If you want it go for it worry about the rest later that's what I tend to do.
I think GM claimed up to 70.6mpg for the ecoflex 165 5 door and a combined figure of 62.8mpg and around town of 52.8mpg

The best I have seen is 53mpg, with a low of 43mpg

Maybe the EU should have a look at how the claimed mpg figures are actually calculated/published, from what I have read they would never be achievable on the road
(6:th-Apr-2016, 19:51:08)bruce_19 Wrote: For the miles your doing I would look for a car with good mpg but I would have to weigh it up against the looks of the car and the feel when driving. I used to do about 400 miles a week in my Impreza and just like my dad I didn't bother about mpg.

If you want it go for it worry about the rest later that's what I tend to do.

You're right you know.
I've been struggling with 'looks' for a long while as I couldn't fall in love with MK6 Astra's at all until I found the GTC.

I'm obsessed with MK4's and have owned five, only recently I got my head around MK5 looks then realised the smart thing would be to get something newer/less mileage on the clock.

My other issue is I've not been living in the real world having driven an LPG car for the last 8 years.....gas was 35p a litre then and is only 56p a litre now, buying petrol was a twice a year experience and these last few weeks after my LPG system broken down I've been shocked/obsessed with fuel prices/economy.

I'd like a LTD Edition EcoFlex but not seen any for sale so will most likely go for the 2.0 CDTi and (maybe) get it remapped. Ironically the insurance is lots cheaper on the GTC and so is the Road Tax so I'm saving there.

Then I'll start looking for a VXR interior

(6:th-Apr-2016, 20:20:19)andy2174 Wrote: Maybe the EU should have a look at how the claimed mpg figures are actually calculated/published, from what I have read they would never be achievable on the road

I heard - No seats, hardly any fuel, on a rolling road in a wind tunnel
Try and go for the biturbo 2.0cdti mate, 195bhp standard! Nice interior if you get the red trim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(6:th-Apr-2016, 20:20:19)andy2174 Wrote: Maybe the EU should have a look at how the claimed mpg figures are actually calculated/published, from what I have read they would never be achievable on the road

I heard - No seats, hardly any fuel, on a rolling road in a wind tunnel
[/quote]

I think also things like heaters are removed, wipers and arms, all the shut lines taped up, no wheels or brakes.............
(7:th-Apr-2016, 09:36:10)Tonto Wrote: Try and go for the biturbo 2.0cdti mate, 195bhp standard! Nice interior if you get the red trim!

Yeah but then I lose out on the LTD Edition bodykit (which will cost me £1000 to add later)....

decisions decisions LOL!
Isn't the limited edition very similar if not the same as biturbo though? I've not looked into limited editions though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Biturbo has a more powerful engine, better interior, better spec all around in comparison to the limited edition. As far as I know, the limited edition has a standard sport interior inc electricals. The plus point on the limited edition is it is a couple of grand cheaper (2nd hand) than the biturbo, although it would probably cost you a lot more than that afterwards in upgrades to bring it in line with the biturbo.
(7:th-Apr-2016, 10:53:59)stigeye Wrote: The Biturbo has a more powerful engine, better interior, better spec all around in comparison to the limited edition. As far as I know, the limited edition has a standard sport interior inc electricals. The plus point on the limited edition is it is a couple of grand cheaper (2nd hand) than the biturbo, although it would probably cost you a lot more than that afterwards in upgrades to bring it in line with the biturbo.

We were just referring to the body kit mate, do you know if they're the same or similar? If I could afford it I'd definitely get the biturbo!

i recently saw a astra j biturbo with manual rear windows, how mean is vx, at least with the astra k you can have a astra elite nav biturbo, although i was playing with the online configurator and it came to 26.5k, would be worth 13k 10 months later lol
(7:th-Apr-2016, 11:16:03)mrtc Wrote: i recently saw a astra j biturbo with manual rear windows, how mean is vx, at least with the astra k you can have a astra elite nav biturbo, although i was playing with the online configurator and it came to 26.5k, would be worth 13k 10 months later lol

I am currently looking for a VXR and have seen quite a few with the CD400 fitted to them, that's pretty tight of GM !
(7:th-Apr-2016, 10:35:14)Tonto Wrote: Isn't the limited edition very similar if not the same as biturbo though? I've not looked into limited editions though.

I could be wrong but I think Bi-Turbo is mostly same features as SRi whereas Ltd Editon is 20" rims, VXR styling (different bumper, sills, skirt, spoiler, rear skirt) and different interior.

All I would do personally is swap in a VXR interior/steering wheel and change the ICE and maybe later on change the rims so for me its cheaper for me to get a 12 month old 2.0 Ltd Edition (£13,000) that has quite a nice bodykit on it as opposed to spending £16,000 on a Bi Turbo and then starting to change stuff.
(7:th-Apr-2016, 11:43:07)neilll Wrote: I could be wrong but I think Bi-Turbo is mostly same features as SRi whereas Ltd Editon is 20" rims, VXR styling (different bumper, sills, skirt, spoiler, rear skirt) and different interior.

All I would do personally is swap in a VXR interior/steering wheel and change the ICE and maybe later on change the rims so for me its cheaper for me to get a 12 month old 2.0 Ltd Edition (£13,000) that has quite a nice bodykit on it as opposed to spending £16,000 on a Bi Turbo and then starting to change stuff.

Are you referring to the 3dr or 5 dr?

The 5dr's exterior spec is quite similar, I would say the biturbo has the better alloys and twin exhausts, internally the upholstery is similar but the biturbo has navi and dab etc as standard whereas the limited edition doesn't. Electrically I would say the biturbo has a elite spec whereas the Ltd edition is more SRi.

The GTC 3dr Ltd Ed & Bi turbo are like night and day, the Ltd edition is basic in comparison internally, externally the bitubo has twin exhausts, that is the main difference.

I believe it's VX styling (VX line) as apposed to VXR styling. Go to Autotrader and look at both models side by side.
(7:th-Apr-2016, 12:25:13)stigeye Wrote: Are you referring to the 3dr or 5 dr?

3dr...sorry for any confusion.

Not familiar with Bi Turbo so will check Auto Trader
(7:th-Apr-2016, 12:25:13)stigeye Wrote:
(7:th-Apr-2016, 11:43:07)neilll Wrote: I could be wrong but I think Bi-Turbo is mostly same features as SRi whereas Ltd Editon is 20" rims, VXR styling (different bumper, sills, skirt, spoiler, rear skirt) and different interior.

Are you referring to the 3dr or 5 dr?

The 5dr's exterior spec is quite similar, I would say the biturbo has the better alloys and twin exhausts, internally the upholstery is similar but the biturbo has navi and dab etc as standard whereas the limited edition doesn't. Electrically I would say the biturbo has a elite spec whereas the Ltd edition is more SRi.

The GTC 3dr Ltd Ed & Bi turbo are like night and day, the Ltd edition is basic in comparison internally, externally the bitubo has twin exhausts, that is the main difference.

I believe it's VX styling (VX line) as apposed to VXR styling. Go to Autotrader and look at both models side by side.

I learnt quite a lot there mate, thanks!

Yeah I'd definitely go for biturbo if it's affordable!

(7:th-Apr-2016, 12:46:52)Tonto Wrote: I learnt quite a lot there mate, thanks! 

Yeah I'd definitely go for biturbo if it's affordable!

There's at least 2k difference between the two in regards to the 3dr mate, but I believe that unless you were trying to make it look like a VXR you wouldn't have to do anything to the Biturbo at all. Whereas if you went for the Ltd edition, the VXR interior is around £1500, then there's the navi, dab, exhaust etc etc etc before mentioning the difference in engine power.

I can't afford either, but if I had to choose between 11.5k for a Ltd Ed or 13.5k for a biturbo I would plump for the latter...

GTC LTD Edition with sport spec interior...

Ltd Ed external...

GTC Bitubo interior with full leather heated seats

Bitubo externally...

Are they the basic seats on the Ltd edition?.

I'm sure I've seen some Ltd editions without the trip computer

(7:th-Apr-2016, 14:38:29)bhalay207 Wrote: Are they the basic seats on the Ltd edition?.

I'm sure I've seen some Ltd editions without the trip computer  

They call them 'Sports'

Also quite a lot of Ltd Edition I've seen on Auto Trader have DAB, Navi so the gap is closing !!

Don't care about Navi but DAB would be nice, also really could do with USB port then I could delay splashing out on 3rd party ICE for a while.

For me I guess its down to paying £13000 now for a LTD Edition and then another £1600 for VXR seats or £15,000 now and get full leather now (not keen on those red stripes though....).
Sport trim is pretty much entry level, the electricals inside are of similar spec, so if you find a ltd ed with anything better than sport spec then it was an optional extra by the first owner from new. Bitubo will be elite spec as far as I can see, dimmable rearview, heated front seats, nav etc. I have seen some with infinity sound.

BTW, you will get dab in the ltd edition gtc, it's just not standard in the 5dr ltd edition.

Either way, both are very nice cars.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie geoffsnook 1 1,534 12:th-Sep-2021, 13:25:41
Last Post: Rusty2009
  New newbie Gavinsig 4 2,432 8:th-Sep-2020, 09:24:37
Last Post: marktourino
  Newbie Nubby 1 2,201 20:th-Jul-2020, 07:00:41
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Newbie BazMB 2 2,712 2:nd-Jun-2020, 11:48:08
Last Post: BazMB
  Newbie! Stacker 5 2,988 25:th-May-2020, 16:13:52