Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
andy2174 astra 0cdti 2 sri

Andy2174 Astra SRI 2.0cdti
I picked up the car in mid December 2015

Its a June 2013, Sri 2.0cdti 165, manual, sovereign silver, with factory 18" alloys and space saver wheel

First thing I changed was the air filter, using a K&N panel filter

Today I changed the low beams to Osram nightbreakers, as I had noticed the headlights seemed pretty rubbish, hopefully the nightbreakers will make a difference

I have ordered up a racechip, which should arrive in the next week or so

Next up after than will either be a Dbilas flowmaster intake kit or the driveaudio sat nav kit

I have attached a couple of pictures of the car 

very nice look forward to seeing what you get up to
nice car mate, what are your plans
Nice car mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I retract my nice comment and add. Awesome lol. The word nice is over used lol
Love the face lift version on silver!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
imo id debadge the letters/numbers, always thought they look strange on a silver car
(22:nd-Feb-2016, 14:32:56)mrtc Wrote: imo id debadge the letters/numbers, always thought they look strange on a silver car
I normally debadge my cars but I can't bring myself to remove the 2.0 Haha

(22:nd-Feb-2016, 15:30:44)bhalay207 Wrote:
(22:nd-Feb-2016, 14:32:56)mrtc Wrote: imo id debadge the letters/numbers, always thought they look strange on a silver car

ill be debadging for the simple reason ive told my other half ill get a 1.7 lol
(22:nd-Feb-2016, 19:09:04)mrtc Wrote:
(22:nd-Feb-2016, 15:30:44)bhalay207 Wrote:

ill be debadging for the simple reason ive told my other half ill get a 1.7 lol
that's hilarious!

Racechip update?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
(25:th-Feb-2016, 16:52:02)marcus Wrote: Racechip update?

Nothing has arrived yet I am afraid, been itching to get it fitted !
Bugger. Took about 4 or 5 days for mine to arrive IIRC.

Fitted some new wheel bolt covers today, noticed that two had gone awol

Marcus, can you remember how your racechip was delivered ? via royal mail ?
(27:th-Feb-2016, 09:28:56)andy2174 Wrote: Fitted some new wheel bolt covers today, noticed that two had gone awol

Can't be sure mate. I had it shipped to parcel motel which is a post box service. Didn't want my missus getting sight of it.

On a side note... I did ask the race chip people of it voided the car warranty by using it and they said no... Can't see that being true though!

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

(27:th-Feb-2016, 21:42:45)marcus Wrote:
(27:th-Feb-2016, 09:28:56)andy2174 Wrote: Fitted some new wheel bolt covers today, noticed that two had gone awol

Can't be sure mate. I had it shipped to parcel motel which is a post box service. Didn't want my missus getting sight of it.  

when i buy from ebay i make sure i can get it click n collect, from argos as i get in trouble for spending too much lol
(27:th-Feb-2016, 21:48:24)mrtc Wrote:
(27:th-Feb-2016, 21:42:45)marcus Wrote:

when i buy from ebay i make sure i can get it click n collect, from argos as i get in trouble for spending too much lol
Haha. I get most things shipping anywhere but home so I don't have to explain.

I can't say anything.... I've not told my missus about my new Fin Haha. She hasn't noticed it though which is good.

(27:th-Feb-2016, 21:58:03)bhalay207 Wrote: I can't say anything.... I've not told my missus about my new Fin Haha. She hasn't noticed it though which is good.

Hahaha that's funny! Glad to know I'm not the only one... My Mrs doesn't know about the happy light show dongle

I don't blame you mate, you've just brought that HU. In fairness this is the only thing I haven't told her about Haha. It's when you need to try and justify where that missing £X amount has gone

Yep exactly! And you're not wrong! She's gonna start asking why I'm skint 1 week after pay day hahaha

That's when you know you're in trouble

I've swapped my steering wheel and the misses hasn't even noticed, it's brilliant
Haha.... Oh the deception!

Finally got a shipping notice today, the package should arrive Thursday, hopefully Ill be able to report by the weekend
UPS delivered the racechip to me today, I was out............dropped at a local collection for me to collect, off now to collect it

Pictures and impressions of it once fitted, to follow tomorrow morning
***Update***

Racechip now fitted

The connectors for the fuel pressure rail and the boost pressure were a little tricky to remove and I really struggled to find the boost pressure connection point

Youtube came to my rescue with a insignia A20dth tuning box fitting guide

Once fitted, the cables were tidied up a bit and route with the tuning box alongside the airbox

Initial impressions whilst the car was warming up, no real difference, other than a slight improvement in throttle pickup, when warmed up, I certainly havent noticed a massive shove in the back however, it does seem to rev to higher rpm's holding power more than before

It doesnt feel like +35bhp/60lbft difference though, maybe my expectations based on previous remaps on petrols or diesels built up my expectations

So, all in all, its not a night and day upgrade, but, it does seem to add a little more fun to the driving experience and for the money, just over £102 I dont feel ripped off

A few pictures to follow

Nice write up. I must say I am surprised that you don't feel move shove especially in 3rd, 4th, 5th. Maybe it will adapt more after some mileage?

I got used to extra shove soon enough and removed the Racechip one weekend when I was trying to diagnose my coolant leak. Couldn't wait to plug it back in again. It really sharpens up the throttle response and the pickup is miles better.

Can't remember if I mentioned it before but late last year Racechip reduced the power output of the Racechip One box for the Astra 165 S/S. (It was 209hp when I bought it . Now it's 199hp) Wasn't sure what to make of it so I did email them to ask why it had changed. They skirted around the question so either it was a marketing ploy or a new map ? (Suspect the former )

For what it's worth I doubt any of those tuning boxes give more than 80% of their claimed power increase. (Especially on the standard settings.) I haven't bothered to change the standard settings as yet.
Nice write up. I must say I am surprised that you don't feel move shove especially in 3rd, 4th,  5th. Maybe it will adapt more after some mileage?

I got used to extra shove soon enough and removed the Racechip one weekend when I was trying to diagnose my coolant leak. Couldn't wait to plug it back in again. It really sharpens up the throttle response and the pickup is miles better.

Can't remember if I mentioned it before but late last year Racechip reduced the power output of the Racechip One box for the Astra 165 S/S. (It was 209hp when I bought it . Now it's 199hp) Wasn't sure what to make of it so I did email them to ask why it had changed. They skirted around the question so either it was a marketing ploy or a new map ? (Suspect the former )

For what it's worth I doubt any of those tuning boxes give more than 80% of their claimed power increase. (Especially on the standard settings.) I haven't bothered to change the standard settings as yet.
does it not have adjustable maps ??
you wont get anywhere near that claimed bhp with their base model
Yes, it does have user adjustable settings, however, the manual's explanation for tweaking them means pretty much nothing to me!, so Ill leave it in the preset position
(4:th-Mar-2016, 15:26:27)tucpal Wrote: does it not have adjustable maps ??

Yes it does. There are 3 published settings in the user manual. Adjustable via the 2 rotary dials etc. (i.e. Standard, Power 1 and Power 2) I'd need to dig my user manual out to see how to set them. (The box is set to the Standard setting which happens to be documented on the invoice itself)

(4:th-Mar-2016, 15:33:10)Mark_Richardson Wrote:

Yes it does. There are 3 published settings in the user manual. Adjustable via the 2 rotary dials etc. (i.e. Standard, Power 1 and Power 2) I'd need to dig my user manual out to see how to set them.  (The box is set to the Standard setting which happens to be documented on the invoice itself)

In fact, upon further reading of manual, it does now make a degree of sense, now that I have found its factory setting!

My standard is setting B1 and can be adjusted to D1 E2 and finally F4, which should give more performance at each stage

mark_richardson, which setting do you have yours on and have you tried tweaking them ?
good the standard settings will most likely be more on the eco side or a middle safe setting
and also what you have it set to greatly affects the BHP torque mpg etc
there claimed figures are usually at the max setting that box is supposed to give 15 to 20% increase on max settings
so you will have to work out how to adjust it to a higher setting but not over stress the fuel rail and unbalance the engine
the only way you find out what bhp you have is by getting a dyno run done
but 35 bhp from there standard box does seem a very high quoted figer
as above set it to power 2 and see if that makes a difference.
Is this tuning good for the engine? Once had a Volvo 850 tdi with a similar box which was connected to some cables that configurated the pump pressure and more or less only told the engine it needed more diesel. Car was quicker, but didnt noticed better mpg + black smoke from exhausts, which should not be there in a correct mix, will kill partikel filter I presume and turbo. Reminds me of the old D24 VW engines, only a screw away from fatter diesel/air mix.

An engine expert told me that the box was very bad for the engine in long terms and it was programmed to not alert the driver to go to workshop... The very same company that sold my box imported it from Germany, were germans laughed at the stupid swedes. I removed my box.
the old fuel rail only boxes did and have had issues
most new types like my one the bluespark pro boost have boost monitoring
to stop over fueling and fouling the dpf etc so they have improved a lot
but saying that it is not recommended to have max torque and power settings
as you need to accept the fact that will not be good for the gearbox over time
but if you set it up correctly and stay within safe settings good improvements can be had
I couldnt resist tweaking the setup

Decided on level 2, which has been already said is the more sensible option and Id rather err on the side of caution, than blow the gearbox up !

I havent noticed any more black smoke from the exhaust, unlike a previously superchipped golf gtd I once had

Now, it delivers what I was expecting, much better pick up, with a nice push in the back when coming on boost and it seems to hold the boost much longer than before

Very happy and thanks for all the help/tips/advice
I really hope tupcal is correct, but check engine for leaks, the higher pressure may cause an hose to leak.
glad it feels better for you now
but as said if any black smoke or even white smoke is seen or check engine lights or rough idle etc
then tune it down and you will be a lot safer and happier for it
most problems occur by people maxing the settings out on these boxes and looking for unrealistic torque and bhp figures
that there engine simply can not cope with and over fueling the fuel rail over stressing the turbo and gearbox
and clogging the dpf and egr or kicking the car into regain continually or even limp mode.
the factory settings these boxes come with are usually a nice safe all round option for power torque and mpg
so stick with the setting options you have been sent with the box
if you have been given three maps etc then find the one you like and stick with that one
and you should see good improvements all round and stay safe and have fun and a better drive
then if you really want to know what the car is doing get a dyno run and they can tell you exactly what improvements you have.
(4:th-Mar-2016, 15:39:24)andy2174 Wrote:

(4:th-Mar-2016, 15:33:10)Mark_Richardson Wrote:

Yes it does. There are 3 published settings in the user manual. Adjustable via the 2 rotary dials etc. (i.e. Standard, Power 1 and Power 2) I'd need to dig my user manual out to see how to set them.  (The box is set to the Standard setting which happens to be documented on the invoice itself)

In fact, upon further reading of manual, it does now make a degree of sense, now that I have found its factory setting!

My standard is setting B1 and can be adjusted to D1 E2 and finally F4, which should give more performance at each stage

mark_richardson, which setting do you have yours on and have you tried tweaking them ?
On standard. Haven't felt the urge to turn up the heat.... Yet. Chore for next week...

(4:th-Mar-2016, 17:07:02)andy2174 Wrote: I couldnt resist tweaking the setup

Decided on level 2, which has been already said is the more sensible option and Id rather err on the side of caution, than blow the gearbox up !

I havent noticed any more black smoke from the exhaust, unlike a previously superchipped golf gtd I once had

Now, it delivers what I was expecting, much better pick up, with a nice push in the back when coming on boost and it seems to hold the boost much longer than before

Very happy and thanks for all the help/tips/advice
Will give mine a bash next week. I might be missing out.....

Been away for the weekend, so only got around to change the settings on the Racechip one this morning before work. Changed it from b1 to d1. Traffic was mad this morning so didn't have a chance to give it any welly. It did seem to pull better in the short gaps I could find in the traffic. Andy is yours set to d1 or e2 now?

(7:th-Mar-2016, 11:14:57)marcus Wrote: Been away for the weekend,  so only got around to change the settings on the Racechip one this morning before work. Changed it from b1 to d1. Traffic was mad this morning so didn't have a  chance to give it any welly. It did seem to pull better in the short gaps I could find in the traffic.    Andy is yours set to d1 or e2 now?

I had a long run out on Friday morning on B1 (my initial post) then upped it to E2 and had a short ride out in the afternoon

E2 delivers more what I was expecting and will keep it on that setting

100mile round trip to the office tomorrow, so I am looking forward to seeing how it drives on that
(7:th-Mar-2016, 12:10:34)andy2174 Wrote:
(7:th-Mar-2016, 11:14:57)marcus Wrote: Been away for the weekend,  so only got around to change the settings on the Racechip one this morning before work. Changed it from b1 to d1. Traffic was mad this morning so didn't have a  chance to give it any welly. It did seem to pull better in the short gaps I could find in the traffic.    Andy is yours set to d1 or e2 now?

I had a long run out on Friday morning on B1 (my initial post) then upped it to E2 and had a short ride out in the afternoon

100mile round trip to the office tomorrow, so I am looking forward to seeing how it drives on that
Cool, I will adjust it to e2 for the trip home.

(7:th-Mar-2016, 12:14:07)marcus Wrote:

Cool,  I will adjust it to e2 for the trip home.

E2 is more what I was expecting from the box, so now I am happy with the results, Maybe Ill see an improvement on my mpg, which will be a bonus

Let me know what you think of E2
(7:th-Mar-2016, 12:20:07)andy2174 Wrote:
(7:th-Mar-2016, 12:14:07)marcus Wrote:

Cool,  I will adjust it to e2 for the trip home.

E2 is more what I was expecting from the box, so now I am happy with the results, Maybe Ill see an improvement on my mpg, which will be a bonus

Let me know what you think of E2
OK so I set the dials to E2 for the trip home this evening. Wow, the car has some new urgency on the bits of open road I could find. Can't believe I have been so reluctant to change the standard settings on this tuning box. Thanks Andy.

It does make it a bit more interesting

I am looking forward to my 530am trip to work, which is pretty much traffic free
(7:th-Mar-2016, 19:20:03)andy2174 Wrote: It does make it a bit more interesting

I am looking forward to my 530am trip to work, which is pretty much traffic free
Yeah, maybe I too should head off to the office early tomorrow morning to beat the traffic. Cheers

That's exactly why I head off early, to avoid the damn traffic, means I leave nice and early too

I did find the pickup in 3/4/5 is really superb now, in fact 40-60 in 4th is really quite pleasing
Yes it is. Traffic was still mad this morning but the car is certainly more eager. Weird thing is, on standard setting.. B1.. The car was no more economical than it was without the Racechip. Early days here (60 miles in) but on E2 setting consumption has gone from 48 to 56 mpg. Not sure if is the obc is just messing me around but I will check it when I fill up. Happy days.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Progress Thread - Astra 2.0CDTi (165) eCOFlex Jonathaneuk Jonathaneuk 104 38,872 20:th-Jan-2024, 15:20:34
Last Post: Dominattor
  Progress thread : White Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri vx line marcus 193 90,975 1:st-Aug-2021, 11:24:07
Last Post: Chip
  Astra J with Insignia parts Roksab 2 3,071 16:th-Jul-2021, 09:04:52
Last Post: marktourino
  My 2011 Astra J 2.0 CDTI SRI Jetcolour 58 14,425 15:th-Jan-2021, 11:07:16
Last Post: MarkAP68
  Qaranc's Astra progress Qaranc 12 9,206 7:th-Nov-2020, 08:06:37
Last Post: Jetcolour
  Astra Sport Tourer by Dooks Dooks 17 13,503 18:th-May-2020, 11:07:26
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Defrank’s Astra 1.6 petrol defrank 13 15,049 20:th-Dec-2019, 08:48:26
Last Post: AndyF79
  Astra Elite Tourer 2.0 CDTI. Steveb19111978 67 26,072 25:th-Sep-2019, 18:39:00
Last Post: Steveb19111978
  Mara´s Astra Mara_J 1 4,130 20:th-Jul-2019, 11:28:15
Last Post: marktourino
  Astra GTC Limied Edition CDTI 2.0 auto Mickey88 15 9,964 7:th-May-2019, 17:34:46
Last Post: Mickey88