Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
stephenjlord progress thread

Progress Thread - StephenJLord
Hi everyone, I've been on this forum quite a bit recently so thought I would put some photos and info on of my car.

I have the 5 door SRi 2.0 CDTI 165 Automatic with front and rear parking sensors.

Was surprised to find the rear windows are manual! Thought they were a thing left in the 2000s.

All my 'mods' so far are electronic.

Complete-
H7 Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs for Low Beam
LED number plate lights
LED DRLs/Sidelights (Epistar Projector with CK Pinout)
LED Interior Lights - all except sun visors
Parrot Asteroid Tablet with Paser Unika steering wheel CAN interface (rooted with Play Store side loaded)
HappyBlue CAN Module
Transcend 220 Dash Cam (with lane change and forward collision alert)
TP Link 4G Router (supplies internet to the Tablet and also WIFI signal) mounted in the roof

To fit-
Transcend 200 Dash Car for rear
LED brake lights
LED tail lights
LED indicators
LED fog and reversing lights
Door ambient LEDs

Functions added (HappyBlue)-
Unlock and Welcome Lights (Indicators, brake lights, sidelights, number plate)
High beam flash includes fog lights
When in reverse press mute twice to activate all rear lights
LED errors deactivated without the need for load resistors
Journey logging
Data display on Tablet
Parking display improved and also on tablet
Speed, RPM and Gear displayed in clock LCD
Hold unlock on key fob to pop open boot - need stronger gas struts but the angle of them when closed would probably make it even harder to open the boot

DRLs

Unlock lights

Dash Readout - have got Gear to display now rather than transmission ratio

Data displayed on Tablet

Parking Sensor Info on tablet - also improved display on the display in the clocks includes distances in ft (although too bright to see in this photo)

I am waiting for the developer of the app to send me the source code which is open source so I can make modifications and improvements.

Hell yeah! Car looks amazing dude! How did you get that auto open boot working?! That via the happy thing?

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

What is this wizardry!?

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
Hi Sheppy,

Yes the boot open function is one of the options in the Happy Blue setup.
I bought it just so I didn't have to fit load resistors to stop bulb errors when LEDs are fitted but it has lots of other useful functions (along with some pointless features but you can choose which you want).
That is so cool! I do want one but they're like 80 quid at least! Did you get yours any cheaper than that?

I've never heard of this. Do you have to have the tablet on show like you have?

It was more than that, got it from the straight from the manufacturer Cantronix in Germany.
I haven't seen it cheaper than £110, the cheaper units which are £78 don't have the bluetooth connection or use the android app (happy light show, happy fog).

The tablet is mounted on a broadit mount made specially for the Astra J.
Its a Parrot bluetooth car kit which runs on android 2 point something.

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/astero...id-tablet/
Ahhhh I was gonna ask what the difference was between happy blue and the happy light show one... So the blue one is the model to go for then?

Bought Happy Blue from here http://www.happylightshow.com/opel-1/ast...ore=german

I believe you have an android head unit?

You can try loading the app for free and have a look through it without buying the module.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...blue&hl=en

I found it worked with the Parrot Tablet so went for that one. I think the other is similar but you just configure it using the clock display and steering wheel although im not sure if it can read diagnostic codes.

You can use the app on a phone instead and control the windows and wiper spray from outside - not sure why though.
(16:th-Feb-2016, 21:50:55)stephenjlord Wrote: Bought Happy Blue from here http://www.happylightshow.com/opel-1/ast...ore=german

I believe you have an android head unit?

You can try loading the app for free and have a look through it without buying the module.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...blue&hl=en

I found it worked with the Parrot Tablet so went for that one. I think the other is similar but you just configure it using the clock display and steering wheel although im not sure if it can read diagnostic codes.

You can use the app on a phone instead and control the windows and wiper spray from outside - not sure why though.
If it worked with @sheppy1 's new HU then it would prove very useful!

It will mate I just bought an ODB2 dongle thing which sends info like RPM, error codes etc. to an android app via BT...the head unit advertises that it works out of the box with these types of ODB2 dongles so will work with the Happy dongles and any you find on ebay or amazon.

My plan is to have an app on the main screen which I'll open to via diagnostic info as im out and about or have it showing other useful info

Is it literally for android or will it work on iPhone too?
Pretty sure it's android only mate... Ya see its all down to what app you get to pull in that data from the odb2 dongle and every one I've seen so far says android only... But I could be wrong

They do iphone ones but the apps suck very limited with what they do
I have a WIFI ODBII dongle which works with iPhone, its good for reading and clearing codes and also displaying engine data but you can't use it to change any configuration on the car like you can with the happy blue one.
I have DashCommand app on the iPhone, this was when I had the Pioneer AppRadio in my previous car.

There are lots on eBay, I got mine from Gendan
Decent mods mate, I'm gonna have to invest in a happy light blue I think, I looked at them before but didn't know anyone who had one to get some feedback!

EDIT: I remember why I didn't, I only have Apple products lol. Il have to wait until I can get it to work with my IPhone
Hey @stephenjlord can you help me with the happy blue please?

I would like to get welcome lights (DRLs and Fogs) but when I enable "ambient" lighting in the app (assume this is the welcome lights) they only come on when I get out of the car and lock it but not when I press the fob to unlock it....Any ideas?

Ta

(24:th-Feb-2016, 15:33:29)sheppy1 Wrote: Hey @stephenjlord can you help me with the happy blue please?

I would like to get welcome lights (DRLs and Fogs) but when I enable "ambient" lighting in the app (assume this is the welcome lights) they only come on when I get out of the car and lock it but not when I press the fob to unlock it....Any ideas?

Ta

On mine I have all indicators, drls, rear lights, number plate and high level brake lights set to come on. All but the drls come on everytime, the drls (although I think they are in sidelight mode) don't always come on when unlocking. Not sure why, I've found if they haven't come on that if I lock the car and then unlock it again they do the second time.
Give that a go, I'm not sure how to fix that, maybe we could report it to cantronix and find if there is a reason why or if they can make an update to fix it.
Cheers, Stephen
Hi Stephen

Cheers! That's very odd then! See mine work every time e.g. when I unlock the car and also when I get out of the car after turning the engine off (no lock needed to make them come on) which is how i believe they're supposed to work. However no matter what I choose only the fogs work...Odd!

I have raised it to them and they said they will accept a return at any time even outside the 14 day period which is good but I just wan this fixing as I wanna keep the unit! They said they will raise the issue on Monday in their weekly meeting

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Progress Thread - Astra 2.0CDTi (165) eCOFlex Jonathaneuk Jonathaneuk 104 38,805 20:th-Jan-2024, 15:20:34
Last Post: Dominattor
  Progress thread Rusty2009 Rusty2009 416 174,435 27:th-Mar-2022, 09:32:35
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Progress thread : White Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri vx line marcus 193 90,691 1:st-Aug-2021, 11:24:07
Last Post: Chip
  Progress thread - AstraRT AstraRT 5 4,428 10:th-Jan-2021, 08:35:22
  Qaranc's Astra progress Qaranc 12 9,182 7:th-Nov-2020, 08:06:37
Last Post: Jetcolour
  Alex's Progress Thread AlexFitton 95 41,111 27:th-Jun-2020, 08:53:48
  Sparkyscfc74’s progress thread sparkyscfc74 485 557,126 13:th-Jun-2020, 08:24:38
  JohnL's VXR Progress thread JohnL 17 13,503 15:th-Feb-2020, 12:38:28
Last Post: olihil18
  Where's my thread? Telsun 2 3,495 1:st-Jan-2019, 09:49:57
Last Post: Telsun
  Progress Thread Conor97 Conor97 28 12,755 9:th-Sep-2018, 19:37:44
Last Post: Conor97

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
iNeoTom (4:th-Mar-2024, 21:47:40)