Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
switching alloys

Switching alloys
Hi guys. So I've finally got a set of vxr wheels for my car.

They have no centre caps and apparently mine won't fit because they are one big unit, so does anyone know the best place for them? I checked eBay and they are like £60 or is this a good price?

They have no tyres so I was told initially to get 235/35/20 but also been told that it's 235/40/20 for the Gtc so the clocks are then only out by 1mph? Is this right and if so anyone recommend a decent tyre at a decent price please?

Also about the tyre pressure system. Will I need new valves again or can they come off my 19" alloys? And will a garage know what to do to change them if that's the case?

Finally got them at a great price but got a feeling all the other bits and bobs I need are gonna cost a lot more than what i thought.

Thanks
235/35/r20 you need ask cornistaz incase there 245
(4:th-Feb-2016, 21:02:03)tucpal Wrote: 235/35/r20 you need ask cornistaz incase there 245

But won't the speedo be out even more then at 35?

(4:th-Feb-2016, 21:26:45)Kris Wrote:
(4:th-Feb-2016, 21:02:03)tucpal Wrote: 235/35/r20 you need ask cornistaz incase there 245

But won't the speedo be out even more then at 35?

and yea sorry i wrote 235 but meant 245. they are 245/35/20 on the vxr. some say that gives 3mph out on the speedo. they said 245/40/20 gives only 1mph out lol?

Also when i go to black circle and type my reg in, it offers my 19" size and Select this option 245/40R20 W 95 So now i don't know why to get lol...
i know but a 20 profile you are going to get one rough ride and you better avoid any kerb at all costs with that profile
baz fitted the 20 to his old vxr and used a 35 profile but he did come up from 19 to 20
what are on your car now
i work with someone who has a set of 20s on her gtc, its done her back in lol
(4:th-Feb-2016, 21:51:55)tucpal Wrote: i know but a 20 profile you are going to get one rough ride and you better avoid any kerb at all costs with that profile
baz fitted the 20 to his old vxr and used a 35 profile but he did come up from 19 to 20
what are on your car now

19" i got on there now mate. I hope its not that much of a rough ride going on 20's as its not even lowered. A lot of people have the VXR wheels on the GTC and don't usually hear them moaning about a rough ride. Im hoping I haven't made a big mistake here lol.

(4:th-Feb-2016, 21:51:55)tucpal Wrote: i know but a 20 profile you are going to get one rough ride and you better avoid any kerb at all costs with that profile
what are on your car now

Baz had 245/40/20 mate ?
Ok mate thought he had 35
TPMS sensors can just be swapped over nothing else needed.

I'll get you info of all the toque settings needed.

I've had mine removed for my alloy refurb and had no problems, also they don't have to front left to front left like other makes as they will relearn where they are.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Tire Pressure Indicator Sensor Nut 8 N·m 71 lb in

Valve Core 0.3 N·m 2.7 lb in
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
My VXR had 245/35/20 the GTC 245/40/20 I never had any issues with mine even when on Eibachs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks rusty and baz

@rusty2009 do they also learn that they are on a bigger alloy or is that not even a problem it just re-learns the new psi ?

Also rusty what will happen if I put the new alloys on with no tpms? Will it be ok? As I don't use it anyway

Or is there a way to disable it? Someone said if you don't fit the tpms you can't use the mpg screen anymore as it just shows service tyre pressure system and you can't clear it...
Wheel size wont affect the TPMS.

If you don't fit the sensors you'll get a warning message on the dash.

You can get it disabled but a main dealer wont do it due to new European legislation stating all new cars from Nov 14 I think have to have it fitted and working and would be an advisory at MOT time. Basically it classed as a safety system so would be like disabling your ABS or airbags.

http://www.techeurope.co.uk/tech/news/vi...S-imminent
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Omg what a pain in the ass. Even if it was just a simple error message that you could clear with the stalk id do it that was I haven't got an mot until 2018. But it stays there and takes over the trip computer :-/
You can clear it but will come on every time you put the ignition on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
you can just swap the tpms sensors over to the new alloys
Baz you can't clear it on the new cars mate someone has done it on the forum and his is there constantly.

Also I went to the garage today to query it and they told me there's a good chance the sensors will snap when they try to take them off and if so its on me...

Also she some were saying to go 40 profile they said 35 is best to keep the speedo accurate as once you add an inch (19 to 20) then also going from 35 profile to 40 is adding more thickness so it would be out even more than a 35 profile tyre?

Anyway I think I might just sell the alloys on as it seems like a lot of hassle just to get them on :(
The sensors won't snap unless they are being heavy handed.

Mine have been removed twice with no problems at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(6:th-Feb-2016, 00:08:30)Rusty2009 Wrote: The sensors won't snap unless they are being heavy handed.

Mine have been removed twice with no problems at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you have to replace the rubber seal Rusty?

Cheers mate guess I need to go to a better garage. I really want these wheels on

Also are they correct about the profile and speedo mate?
No I've not had new nuts but if you want to be on the safe side grab these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221926642457?_...EBIDX%3AIT

It should be fine shouldn't need any reprogramming (I did my retrofit after I got the 19") but I do have a set 18" in the loft and I got a set of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321708217227?_...EBIDX%3AIT to go in them. Just need to sort some tyres lol.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I will borrow this topic.

What would be the size of the wheels -> AstraJ will still looks nice without lower springs?
Would be 18'' still ok? 
Thanks.
18/19"
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Astra/Meriva hubs for new alloys hooper 3 2,692 10:th-Nov-2019, 08:34:35
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Alloys Jon3sy 5 3,739 2:nd-Oct-2017, 22:02:03
Last Post: Jon3sy
  Alloys mirror covers and spoiler :) jamesh7168 2 3,438 3:rd-Aug-2017, 22:57:23
Last Post: Jhill7168
  Astra J VX-Line Alloys, need help! Turner_SRi 18 22,826 17:th-Mar-2016, 03:20:16
Last Post: D92
  3SDM Alloys SI SRI 3 3,943 17:th-Jan-2015, 00:18:02
Last Post: SI SRI