Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
gtc induction 6t 1 for kit

Induction Kit for GTC 1.6T
Hi this is my first post on here,

So i've had my GTC for just over a month now and looking at some light modifications that won't destroy my warranty entirely..

I've searched the net far and wide for a prebuilt induction kit for the 1.6 and not had any luck, although K and N do one for the 1.4 it is fairly extortionate pricing for what it is.

I've noticed another old thread further down with people in the same scenario, although I am a little concerned about the induction pipe that is currently in place has what feels like a twist part way down and im sure it hasn't melted. So assuming that is supposed to be there, I don't want to mess up the MAF readings by opening up the diameter of the pipe part way down too much.

Has anyone put together piping for it themselves and attached a cone filter without any EML's coming on or any issues, if so what pipe did you go for?

I've got an old green cotton air filter from my old civic that I can use once I've got the pipes set up, and it looks as though I'm going to have to make the MAF fit somehow just after the air filter.

Any help greatly appreicated,

Thanks
Good luck although I can't help you.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
i think the best way is to find out if the diameter of the 2.0 cdti maf sensor and housing are the ame as the 1.6 turbo pipe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTRA...SwAKxWVIEQ

then you could ether use the maf sensor from the 2.0 cdti or put your maf sensor from the 1.6 turbo
in the housing from the 2.0 cdti then you can add silicone pipe and the cone
only guess work but i think it is the best bet to mount the maf safely and correctly
it is strange there are no kits out there as yet apart from the 1.4 turbo
i really have not seen anyone do it as yet just talk about doing it

shorty is working on it may be worth asking were he is up to

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-GTC...uction-kit
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly chaps, I have been out and checked the diameter of the pipe between the MAF and the turbo and it's 70mm..

I've ordered the MAF with housing that you linked to above so cheers for that, It's a shame the MAF is attached to the air box on the GTC!

As soon as the MAF housing arrives i'm going to double check the measurements and order a silicon hose to fit and hopefully the filter will attach straight onto the housing. Once i'm there I am going to put together a custom heat shield and attempt to feed some more cold air to it as well as the standard pipes. Then it's plain sailing from here!
cool hope it works can you do a how to as i know other want it
Im still pretty much in the guess work stages as yourself mate. Ive been speaking to a few other guys who have been trying to get a homemade kit working well. We have tried using a MAF sensor housing from a 1.4t corsa D as its ment to be the same diameter but when we fitted it it was slightly smaller.

The cars would start and run, my car would run but as soon as I put the car in gear it would cut out. My mates car ran and you could drive but the engine was really lumpy until you got up to speed so we are getting somewhere with it. I have ordered a custom MAF housing with an air straightner made as part of the housing. It is frustrating, but were gonna have to take readings from both the MAF and MAP sensors while the standard airbox is fitted and then somehow replicate the same readings with an induction kit.

feel free to message me if you have any questions and please get stuck in and see if you can sort something yourself and we can pass information back and forward. As the guys have said there are a lot of people wanting to know if it can be done.
Hopefully between us we can come up with a solution then Shorty, I've checked and double checked sizes and the MAF housing i've ordered from the CDTI has an 80mm diameter and this matches the GTC. Although it reduces on the other end of the pipe to 70mm, so on the plus side the MAF sensor readings should be the same but I just hope that my sensor will plug and play.

It should arrive tomorrow hopefully, but i'm going to have to put it all together to test it so need the silicon pipe aswell.

After checking the part number online the MAF housing i've ordered is 80mm aswell so should hopefully be what I need.

http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/facet/7151088

I reckon i'm gonna have to pay out for the silicon hose though, the piping kit on the corsa VXR is the A16LET engine aswell but with 70mm MAF housing. So it's going to have to be a 80mm to 70mm reducer pipe going on. I'l let you guys know how I get on and once its working I'll put a how to guide up showing what needs to be done.

Cheers
Iwould maybe hold off on spending anymore cash on a kit at the moment, as there has been a bit of an update from injen.

This is specifically made for the 1.6t GTC and as you can see there are housing mounts for the MAF and MAP. The guy Ive spoke to is doing a test run and if all goes well they will be going into production.

Video to follow I will keep you guys updated.
just seen the guys video on Facebook sounds good and doesn't seem to have any issues. any idea on price mate?
Honestly cant see the sense of fitting a filter as pictured above. Its just going to suck hot air straight from the engine!
wouldnt worry to much about heat soak on a turbo engine to be honest, plus its still close to the cold air feed which will direct cool air into the cone are and dissipate some of the heat surrounding it. I'd imagine there will be a heat shield available at some point regardless
Why not worry on a turbo engine?? They like cold air even more than naturally asperated! Hense the need of a fmic lol, and its pointing away from the cold air feed, and towards the rear of the enigine!

I would only ever use a sealed induction kit, otherwise a deresticted airbox with a decent panel filter, that picture above, the way thats set up would reduce performance.
ran open air induction kits on my previous cars with no issues, fuel consumption and power was pretty much the same because they were kept close to the standard air feed. seen hundreds of cars setup like that and they've had no issues, as long as air from the outside is able to flow into the engine bay and around the cone area it wouldn't cause any problems. If there is something in the way of the incoming air then maybe you'd have an issue with the air being turbulant and being directed away from the cone.

UPDATE! just spoken to JCP Performance. They don't know when the kits will be ready but they are expected cost around 320 euros, so your looking at around £260 for one
Well just have to agree to disagree pal, ive seen tests ran, on a dyno, and they do decrease power. I agree there are 100s of cars that use that sort of set up, usually boy racers who want an induction noise, not true performance gains.
(28:th-Jan-2016, 20:11:00)Bloopeta Wrote: Well just have to agree to disagree pal, ive seen tests ran, on a dyno, and they do decrease power. I agree there are 100s of cars that use that sort of set up, usually boy racers who want an induction noise, not true performance gains.

haha I know were your coming from the noise is good, even when there set up properly you hardly see any gains aswel. used to find that when you fitted a closed induction kit and an exhaust the ECU would actually hold back on the power output until they got remapped, because the sensors are so sensitive to change.
I've ordered a couple of bits already to attempt to finish it off, but that kit looks nice. I think if I don't get it running well with what i've got I may hold back and pay out for the injen one.

The standard cold air feed is aimed directly towards the rear of the engine bay so will pretty much hit the cone bang on, with a heat shield as well I can't see any issues at all. The performance gains are negligible anyway so for me i'm only putting it on for the sound difference, 10 times better than a panel filter.
Bit of an update on the induction kit,

I got my silicon reducer pipe and also ordered a 70mm outside diameter aluminium pipe so I can clamp the air filter and silicon hose to it, when I looked closely at the MAF housing with sensor from the CDTI that I ordered it was different and also sealed to the housing.

I hooked it up and tested it anyway but it didn't run right, this was because of the diesel MAF sensor not sending the correct voltages. So I have removed the MAF sensor from the airbox from my car and hacked through the diesel MAF sensor entry point and swapped it for my own MAF sensor. The problem I then had was that there were no threaded holes to screw the MAF into so I sealed the entry point and attached the MAF with 2 tie wraps but it doesn't move so I'm happy with that.

I've hooked it all up and it runs fine now, although you can hear the turbo pretty loud and i'm not sure if it's because I put a 70mm air filter on it or if it's just how it sounds due to the turbo. Here's the pics of how it's set up.

that is coming along very well well done
you may be best to use some black silicone
around the MAF sensor just to make sure it is airtight and completely sealed aswell
you can just peel it off if you need to take the MAF out ever

so now we need a video of the sound
When you say silicon do you mean black silicon sealant?

I have got a dash cam set up in the car so i'll take it for a run later with the windows down and up so you can hear what I mean. And i'll put the vid up tomorrow when i've got hold of the cable to upload it.

Cheers
yes mate sealant just to make sure it is airtight
HAHA!, I love seeing makeshift parts working especially when theres cable ties holding stuff together, nice one good job. I'm still waiting for my housing dunno whats happened with it. I know it was coming from the states so ill need to find out
It's taken me a while to get a video because of the format it was in, and you can barely hear it to be honest but this is what my cone filter sounds like:

http://vid1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag...gbslrf.mp4
Certainly looks like its working fine
Sounds good to me! If only there was a way of making diesels sound nicer Haha

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
You can hear the turbo a lot louder in real life than on the video and it sounds like a sort of scraping noise when in a high gear low rev's, think it may be because I used aluminium pipe to connect the silicon pipe and air filter. But to be honest the sound of it is sort of growing on me, sounds as good as a proper dump valve at times and the deep grumble sounds quite nice as well so i just have to keep the revs higher if i want it to sound nicer haha

Next i'm going to save some pennies and try and get an exhaust for it, the standard exhaust looks a right mess under the car with all the chunky silencers on it
cool keep us updated i will move this thread into the how to section as there is really good info here to refer other members back to.
hows the homemade kit running mate?
It's running fine mate, no EML lights and it's not running lean so must have done something right!

I may try an 80mm cone when I get round to it, see if it eliminates the slight metallic noise I hear. Although it is very slight so I can live with it, the deep throaty sound makes up for it when I put my foot down.
(3:rd-Mar-2016, 13:41:37)WoZLinGToN Wrote: It's running fine mate, no EML lights and it's not running lean so must have done something right!

I may try an 80mm cone when I get round to it, see if it eliminates the slight metallic noise I hear. Although it is very slight so I can live with it, the deep throaty sound makes up for it when I put my foot down.

good stuff, just wanted to see if you had any issues overtime. Next part is sorting out silicone piping and housing for the MAP sensor now
(4:th-Feb-2016, 17:25:37)Hey there,was wondering if you could put a list of links together on everything you used here please? Looking to do it for mine!thanks! ️WoZLinGToN Wrote: Bit of an update on the induction kit,

I got my silicon reducer pipe and also ordered a 70mm outside diameter aluminium pipe so I can clamp the air filter and silicon hose to it, when I looked closely at the MAF housing with sensor from the CDTI that I ordered it was different and also sealed to the housing.

I hooked it up and tested it anyway but it didn't run right, this was because of the diesel MAF sensor not sending the correct voltages. So I have removed the MAF sensor from the airbox from my car and hacked through the diesel MAF sensor entry point and swapped it for my own MAF sensor. The problem I then had was that there were no threaded holes to screw the MAF into so I sealed the entry point and attached the MAF with 2 tie wraps but it doesn't move so I'm happy with that.

I've hooked it all up and it runs fine now, although you can hear the turbo pretty loud and i'm not sure if it's because I put a 70mm air filter on it or if it's just how it sounds due to the turbo. Here's the pics of how it's set up.

Heyy guys I've been looking for the induction kit also for this engine but still no luck "( any update on a production kit or still nothing from anyone?
I got an engine management light up eventually with mine, I think it's due to the tie straps maybe causing slight movement of the sensor. So I'm also on the lookout for a custom housing unit, ideally one you don't have to chop into to seat the sensor correctly.

There's 2 options I can see apart from sourcing a custom housing.. these are the k and n induction kit and the injen one.

Although I'm getting fed up of looking so may just make one myself at work, it needs to be 80mm outer diameter with the correct offset seating face for the sensor to sit at the right angle/depth including a mesh air straightener. Although I'm tempted to draw up what I need on cad and get a company in China to send me a few to sell.
I seen one of the guys on facebook cut up a MAF sensor housing off of a corsa and he used used sealer to attach it to a stainless steel pipe which is a really good and cheap way of doing it. If you go down the custom route for a housing it can get expensive. I think I paid abut £90 for the housing I got made.