Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Tags
halogen bulbs 5000k

5000K Halogen bulbs
Anyone ever known an MOT fail or anyone get pulled over for having 5000K none UK legal bulbs in their car?

Ta

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

My M.O.T guy failed the wife's pug for having blue bulbs even though they lit up white.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Yep it will fail with out projectors
Damn! I bought some you see so I'll have to remove before the MOT

If you don't have projectors just remove them full stop
Will these pass mot?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/350783480379

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@tucpal the ones I got are just standard halogen bulbs with the temperature value of 5000K. I don't have HIDs or anything like that so why would I remove them?

What are the brightest, whitest, legal headlight bulbs that are a straight swap ?

Currently I'm running Osram Nightbreaker Ultimate but they don't really impress to be fair
Heard there's Mod's about. .
Anyone considered trying these? Essentially a projector on the end of a HID bulb which fits in a standard bulb holder & creates a projector rather than blinding everyone...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142181857668?c...rmvSB=true
interesting as long as the light pattern is ok they may work
But they will need to be for RHD cars or you will be blinding oncoming traffic
What is the brightest, whitest , dipped beam bulb that is a straight swap without any Mod's whatsoever. .
(24:th-Dec-2016, 11:33:20)Simon Templar Wrote: What is the brightest, whitest , dipped beam bulb that is a straight swap without any Mod's whatsoever. .

The same as the highbeam
(24:th-Dec-2016, 12:52:42)stigeye Wrote:
(24:th-Dec-2016, 11:33:20)Simon Templar Wrote: What is the brightest, whitest , dipped beam bulb that is a straight swap without any Mod's whatsoever. .

The same as the highbeam

i like a comic . .
(25:th-Dec-2016, 12:17:27)Simon Templar Wrote:
(24:th-Dec-2016, 12:52:42)stigeye Wrote:

The same as the highbeam

i like a comic . .

You will be able to show me somewhere where it says that mot stations check for bulb brightness? So again, whatever brightness H7 halogen 12v 55w bulb you like as long as the colour remains predominently white.
(20:th-Jan-2016, 15:55:09)tucpal Wrote: If you don't have projectors just remove them full stop

I agree - in spades. Without the correct projector lighting housings and self-levelling mechanism they simply broadcast light in every direction, and dazzle oncoming drivers.
Below is the extract from the NI testing site (appreciate it's not totally relevant but it is probably more stringent than the mainland UK being government run over here). No mention of colour temp however annexdotally I had previously asked whilst my car was being tested and was told if it looks like HID it will fail if it doesn't have self leveling and washers fitted. Colour, as long as it's white and not blue should be ok as long as below is met....

The most common type of headlamps fitted to vehicles are those known as European type headlamps which are checked for aim on the dip beam.

These headlamps have an asymmetric dipped beam pattern with a distinctive horizontal cut-off on the right, and a 15 degree wedge of light above the horizontal (the 'kick-up') towards the left.

the beam pattern blurred and does not show a distinctive cut-off pointthe beam 'kick-up' is to the offside, that is, the headlamp dips to the rightthe The most common type of headlamps fitted to vehicles are those known as European type headlamps which are checked for aim on the dip beam.

These headlamps have an asymmetric dipped beam pattern with a distinctive horizontal cut-off on the right, and a 15 degree wedge of light above the horizontal (the 'kick-up') towards the left.

the beam 'kick-up' is to the offside, that is, the headlamp dips to the rightthe image break point is not between the vertical -2.0 per cent line (blue vertical line) and the vertical 0 per cent line (black vertical line)headlamp centres not more than 850mm above the ground - the beam horizontal cut-off line (pitch) is not between -0.5 per cent and -2 per cent line (red lines)headlamp centres more than 850mm above the ground - the beam horizontal cut-off line (pitch) is not between -1.25 per cent and -2.75 per cent line (green lines)

There will be no opportunity to adjust headlamp alignment during the test. Levelling devices should be set for unladen condition, normally located on vehicle dash.

Not quite answering the original question but hopefully helpful.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
(23:rd-Dec-2016, 00:14:41)Simon Templar Wrote: What are the brightest, whitest, legal headlight bulbs that are a straight swap ?

Currently I'm running Osram Nightbreaker Ultimate but they don't really impress to be fair
Unfortunately these are one of the best if not the best halogens money can buy.
What do you think about this one's?
http://jdmastar.com/product/292/8TH-Gen-...-of-2.html
(20:th-Jan-2017, 21:25:23)Jerry Wrote: What do you think about this one's?
http://jdmastar.com/product/292/8TH-Gen-...-of-2.html

I have installed H7 led on my astra j 5 door (reflector housing). Unless the bulb and the base (heat sink) of these bulbs above can be separated and the bulb stem to be thin enough and have enough space for the a specific h7 bulb holders - they won't fit. Its not a straightforward 'plug and play' for the astra J 5 door. 

Check my install on post #12-14 on this thread: https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-Ast...IGHT-BULBS 
It will give you some insight on the requirements for installation.
Philips extreme 130%

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headlight bulbs on a 16 GTC Limited Ed SMS19 1 6,035 14:th-Aug-2020, 14:38:50
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Headlight bulbs Flick19191 2 6,678 25:th-Sep-2019, 08:25:23
Last Post: Flick19191
  DRL Bulbs Keeps Dying Brovakiin 3 7,473 8:th-Aug-2018, 22:19:33
Last Post: niteram
  Halfords DRL bulbs any good? Vx-Mad-G 6 8,535 7:th-Feb-2018, 18:43:35
Last Post: niteram
  Astra J 2012 5 door HEADLIGHT + SIDELIGHT BULBS LukeAstra15 17 14,684 7:th-Oct-2017, 08:02:02
Last Post: umognog
  Bulbs and lighting upgrades for Astra J and GTC - complete list for reference Rusty2009 71 71,672 25:th-Sep-2017, 07:23:38
  HID'S in Halogen units M.O.T. Rusty2009 2 8,200 23:rd-Mar-2014, 11:18:46