Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
some swansea somewhere ££ close near anyone or wants

Anyone near swansea or somewhere close wants some ££
to fid my hid kit to my etc for me ? I'll travel to you and pay you whatever you want (within reason lol)
Right I've had the bulbs out of the car so now I've got the ballast with 2 leads coming out of it a ground wire or something and then 4 connectors at the top.

Now I know one goes back to where I pulled the bulb out right? And the other 3 all connect up to each other right?

So when I drill the 22mm hole which wire am I putting through that and how do I secure the bulb back into the car?

@rusty2009 @cornishtaz HELP LOL
You should a plug that plugs into the orig bulb connector inside the headlight then one that goes into the hid bulb then 2 more which plug into the ballast outside.

That how the kit was for the wife's fiesta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 17:14:41)Rusty2009 Wrote: You should a plug that plugs into the orig bulb connector inside the headlight then one that goes into the hid bulb then 2 more which plug into the ballast outside.

That how the kit was for the wife's fiesta

My bulb on the hid is already connected up can't take it loose or anything. And if I made a 22mm hole in the plastic lid the bulb still wouldn't fit I don't think. There is no way to remove it.

So when you take the bulbs out of the car and you have a bulb and like a plug that connected back to the car you don't need these right? Like your not supposed to put your new bulb into that connector?

Knew I would balls it up lol....
The connector should come off the original bulb then this plugs into the ballast then other side of the ballast goes to new bulb
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@cornishtaz @rusty2009 This is what i mean mate. that bulb don't come off and the base of it is WAY bigger than 22mm
Fit the hid bulb plug the h11 plug into the h11 plug inside the lamp the others then come out the 22mm hole and plug in outside the headlamp.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
@rusty2009 @cornishtaz right so its all in. both lights working, they seem pretty dull atm are they charging or something? i then tried the high beam and next thing the right light went out. turned them off and back on and it started flickering but now its on fully. is this a problem?

I am still gonna take it to a garage or something for them to look at it coz Im sure I've messed up somewhere because m sure its not supposed to go out.

also is it right that theres no like half lights if you know what i mean. you just got on and high beam? i tried to dim them but i only have on off or auto?? they are a nice colour and as I'm typing this the right light has just gone off again even though the car is running???
Sounds like you may have a ballast fault or canbus canceller.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 18:56:08)cornishtaz Wrote: Sounds like you may have a ballast fault or canbus canceller.

ughhh how can i tell mate? i really cab to be like taking bulbs out and ***** as I'm not the best at it anyway. do i need to get a new set off the seller, they are london colour ones and only heard good things.
You could swap each part individually with the working side until you find the duff part then contact the company you bought them from
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 18:59:02)cornishtaz Wrote: You could swap each part individually with the working side until you find the duff part then contact the company you bought them from

omg ill be there forever. how far is swindon away from me lol ill pay you. 

just went out to the car though and turning it on and off brought the bulb back on but they are really dim as if they are not on it seems. then i get a message in the car check the left dipped beam headlight. so something is definitely wrong.
I'm about 110 mile away along the M4. I'd try swapping the ballast over and check everything is tightly plugged in
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 19:12:13)cornishtaz Wrote: I'm about 110 mile away along the M4. I'd try swapping the ballast over and check everything is tightly plugged in

Ive had a quick play but still getting the message check the dipped beam. ill have another look tomorrow morning hopefully if its not raining.

(2:nd-Jan-2016, 19:34:47)Kris Wrote:
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 19:12:13)cornishtaz Wrote: I'm about 110 mile away along the M4. I'd try swapping the ballast over and check everything is tightly plugged in

Ive had a quick play but still getting the message check the dipped beam. ill have another look tomorrow morning hopefully if its not raining.

i also have grounding wires coming off the ballasts do these need to be connected?
Ground wires need to be hooked up mate

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 19:43:21)Rusty2009 Wrote: Ground wires need to be hooked up mate

Two what though mate i don't even know what a freaking ground wire is lol.... its just a black cable with a silver hook at the end, I left it because i read somewhere that the lights already have grounding.
Didn't realise you had seperate earthing wires yes connect them to earth. I never had separate earths no my ballasts

You should have an earth stud near the headlight
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 19:45:48)cornishtaz Wrote: Didn't realise you had seperate earthing wires yes connect them to earth. I never had separate earths no my ballasts

You should have an earth stud near the headlight

whats that mate? also how do i connect it? i have one of those wires on both ballasts. also its not just about finding where to mount the ballast as I have like 2 little power packs as well? its ridiculous how big all the stuff is and theres no space to put them all :-/
Ballasts would be best fitted under the headlamp and the same for power packs.

As for grounds there is one by the air box for drivers side

For passenger side there should be one I front of the battery just under the slam panel

I just got sopping wet legs getting you them :-p

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
You could put the ballasts between the inner wing and fusebox on passengers side and inner wing and airbox on drivers side
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 20:06:10)Rusty2009 Wrote: Ballasts would be best fitted under the headlamp and the same for power packs.

As for grounds there is one by the air box for drivers side

For passenger side there should be one I front of the battery just under the slam panel

I just got sopping wet legs getting you them :-p

Wow thanks so much rusty. Wish you wasn't so far away be much easier someone else doing it lol. So I just need to screw them on? Is that the reason they are not working?

@cornishtaz yea that's where they kinda are at the moment but just stuffed in as it was dark and I was rushing as it was coming to rain. But it's not just a ballast there is like 2 other boxes connecting all the wires?

Also Baz, your gromit is outside your cap but my gromit is inside the cap - is the gromit the rubber thing that holds all the wires together right? Or should I have squeezed it through the hole and had it on the outside?

After all this I wish I just stick to the yellow lights lol.

Isn't there a whiter bulb than the stock Phillips one instead of all this?

Once again thanks guys for helping and being so patient with me lol. Told you I was a noob and now I'm proving it haha.
The grommet should have a groove running round it the plastic cap sits in this groove
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 20:29:34)cornishtaz Wrote: The grommet should have a groove running round it the plastic cap sits in this groove

I probably messed mine up then. I only had a 10mm drill bit and butchered the cap to make it bigger for the clip.

You know to ground it, I just looked and I've got the same grounding wire well a few of them on the same metal bit near the light is it ok to joins the ballast one to these too?

When are you free next Baz lol I might have to travel up to you mate to sort this and how much would it be mate?

Cheers

Oh and if it's OK to join a ground I just undo the nut join the ballast one on to the existing one and screw the nut back on? So the both ground wires can touch each other?
Yes mate you can connect them tothe same point. I'm free most weekends
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 20:41:26)cornishtaz Wrote: Yes mate you can connect them tothe same point. I'm free most weekends

Cheers mate well I'll try to ground them tomorrow and see what happens. If not I'll sort something out with you to have a look at them and tidy up the mess I made of everything lol because I'm thinking that's why they were just in low beam mode too now because they weren't grounded. Even though in the pics they look bright the actual light coming out of them was very poor
Really you should put a ring term on.

These are the the size for the studs I showed you

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...reId=10001

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 21:33:27)Rusty2009 Wrote: Really you should put a ring term on.

These are the the size for the studs I showed you

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...reId=10001

That's what they already are at the end mate. If you look at my first pic you can just make it out. So I just undo the nut and add that on to the other 2 right?

I went out and found both ones u said and will do it in the morning. I turned the lights on and they both came on so it's not the bulbs so hopefully it really is just the grounding.

Tell you what tho the driers side bulb was solid to get in without removing the airbox
Yes mate undo bolts and put them on. Your see in my pics that's what I've done (had to add all the grounds for AFL).
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 22:44:55)Rusty2009 Wrote: Yes mate undo bolts and put them on. Your see in my pics that's what I've done (had to add all the grounds for AFL).

Sweet at last something easy haha!! Do you think this could be why they seem to only have half power and be flickering etc?
Could well be be mate or as Baz says could be faulty ballasts or a lose wire.

1st thing is to hook the grounds up and see what happens then if still faulty start trouble shooting.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(2:nd-Jan-2016, 22:49:29)Rusty2009 Wrote: Could well be be mate or as Baz says could be faulty ballasts or a lose wire.

1st thing is to hook the grounds up and see what happens then if still faulty start trouble shooting.

OK will do. thanks for everything mate.
Wow I did it. I sent the old ones back and ordered new ones from lush lighting city.
Plugged them all up seemed much easier than the other set even though they are he same. Although the quality looks much better.

First of all they wouldn't turn on, so I changed the plug the other way and booom stunning while lights!!!

Here's a daytime pic they go VERY well with my daytime lights I think

So I guess the last set was just faulty and I was Doing it right

Thanks for being patient and all the help guys especially rusty and Baz

Wwooohhoooooo
Glad you got it sorted
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nice one mate I told you it was easy lol.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(5:th-Jan-2016, 14:11:04)Rusty2009 Wrote: Nice one mate I told you it was easy lol.

It literally took me like 10 mins. Was simple plug and play lol. these are also a much better bulb i find, not as blue as the others. VERY happy with them  Only ordered them at 430 last night too. Exactly the same but no grounding wires but just the quality of the kit seems way better and they were £15 cheaper. Just need my log book to arrive now to get my private plate on and ill be done for now until all my white leds come for the interior
Is there a 5 door version of the kit you got mate? Wouldn't mind getting this sorted myself !

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

@sheppy1 you need to change your lights to have the projectors fitted in;

Projector HID retro fit Astra j 5 door
http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=1070

Ahhhh balls! I was thinking it would be as simple as changing the bulbs! Not after doing any major jobs at present and that looks like a pretty big job with lots that could go wrong! Ha

Cheers though dude

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Haha it's ok, or you could buy something like these

https://www.energizedcustoms.co.uk/shop/...wwodxT4NFg

(5:th-Jan-2016, 17:59:55)Nemo Wrote: Haha it's ok, or you could buy something like these

https://www.energizedcustoms.co.uk/shop/...wwodxT4NFg

I'd love a set of those with some HIDs. It would give the AFL look very well. It's just the cost which outs me off. Not sure whether I'd rather have these first or plan the retro fit of auto lights and wipers.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
When i had my courtesy corsa it has auto lights and I hated it them. I kept having to turn them off, I used to have them in my DS3 and they were great but they also had the option to have them off constantly. Whereas the corsa I had to turn them off every time I got into the car. The wipers were just as bad in the corsa

The missus has a golf with them on and I must say I quite like them. It also has auto high beam which is brilliant. I also like the fact that the lights come on when you unlock the car at night.... I'm easily pleased Haha.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
TBF the auto lights on the J are abit hit and miss work 90% fine in the winter but in the summer only work 20% of the time.

The auto wipers I find fine tho.

The wife's fiesta has auto lights and wipers and that works the same as the J.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I wish my lights came on automatically in the J. It's a good option to have, can it be done aha? The wipers were a tad annoying, for example it was spitting and they were on full wack for some silly reason, I had to manually turn them off

I had a ten year old Peugeot (older now) which had both those things! Yet my brand new (at the time) 18 grand Astra didn't! What the hell lol

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Your Astras don't have auto lights and wipers? I thought they all did. And yea sorry sheppy the gtc has projectors built in luckily which is obviously a lot cheaper and easier than the route you have to go mate.
(5:th-Jan-2016, 19:07:09)Nemo Wrote: I wish my lights came on automatically in the J. It's a good option to have, can it be done aha? The wipers were a tad annoying, for example it was spitting and they were on full wack for some silly reason, I had to manually turn them off

Should of turned the adjustment on the wiper stalk (the intermittent on normal wipers)

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I had it on intermittent which triggered the auto wipers which made them go full wack. I had the setting down at the first bar on the adjuster

(5:th-Jan-2016, 20:35:04)Nemo Wrote: I had it on intermittent which triggered the auto wipers which made them go full wack. I had the setting down at the first bar on the adjuster

Oh ok, I know mine adjust with the speed and the amount of water on the screen etc.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Yeah, personally auto wipers aren't for me

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was very close to be write off Lewis6317 50 20,327 17:th-Dec-2014, 18:07:28
Last Post: Rusty2009