Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
in a17dts glow plugs

Plugs glow in A17DTS
Hello guys.
Im searching for a plugs glow module in a A17DTS motor, because is very different at the rest of the 1.7cdti motors here in Spain (only a few).
I have this model in my Astra and this is very different, and i have not information of this.
I have a problem when start the car by morning, the fail is similar at the alert when a plug glow is broken, but all is ok, and suspect the fail is the module of plugs.
Please, any information is good, diagram, place, suggestions.

i will post the progress, when i know any more.
i am expecting for a opcom.... to helpme more

I apologize for my low English.
rusty may help with this
i would apreciate this help.
Rusty please, can you help me with some way.!!!!
Thanks.
i am electroniam/electriciam but in the cars i dont usually work, and i have not Electrical diagram.
i suspect that this module is under fuses box in motor, but i don´t know how uninstall this box, i see 3 screw but i try put off and i can not make this.
Thanks tucpal.
I shall have a look later a bit tidy up for the next couple of days.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(27:th-Nov-2015, 10:21:42)Rusty2009 Wrote: I shall have a look later a bit tidy up for the next couple of days.

I apreciate this. Thanks.
The module of plugs glow in a similar engines is normally here, but where is in A17DTS (lud)?

this is the place in my car.

I ask in any Spain forums and  Nobody knows this type of plug glow,  incorporated  in my car. (4.4V) 10mm key.

The car is similar to 1.7cdti Previous Engines, have changed minimally and any components too (brand of components, locations, dimensions .....) im looking for the module heaters location. I think that module is under the fuse box at engine, but i unscrewed the three screws and i can´t remove it ....

In fuses diagrams, The red arrow show the 80A fuse of this module, and adjacently Asist Direction (empty place). I think this car is no identically at the wiring diagram machine.
I think the arrow show the asist directión and the fuse of  plugs glow module is directly conected in battery.
I've not had a chance to look yet and I won't till Sunday (I've put a note on my PC screen so it'll be the 1st thing I do)

This may help with the fuse board tho

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-AFL...it-details

Once you've removed the top section IIRC there are a couple of nut's / bolts to undo.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Great. i go to be entertained this weekend. Thanks Rusty
I'm going to post all the info I can find on TIS for you.

Everything I've found show's the Module on the end of the battery tho.

Glow Plug System Description

Glow plugs are used to heat the combustion chambers of diesel engines in cold conditions to help with ignition at cold start-up. In the tip of the glow plug is a coil of a resistive wire or a filament which heats up when electricity is connected.

Glow plugs are required because diesel engines produce the heat needed to ignite their fuel by the compression of air in the cylinder and combustion chamber. In cold weather, and when the engine block, engine oil and cooling water are cold, the heat generated during the first revolutions of the engine is conducted away by the cold surroundings, preventing ignition. The glow plugs are switched on prior to turning over the engine to provide heat to the combustion chamber, and remain on as the engine is turned over to ignite the first charges of fuel. Once the engine is running, the glow plugs are no longer needed, although some engines run the glow plugs for between 5-10 s after starting to ensure smooth and efficient running and sometimes to keep the engine within emissions regulations, since combustion efficiency is greatly reduced when the engine is very cold. During this period, the power fed to the glow plugs is greatly reduced to prevent them burning out by overheating.

Control of the glow plugs is accomplished by a glow plug control module. The temperature and the power consumption is controlled between the engine control module (ECM) and the controller within a wide range to suit the engine pre heating requirements. Each glow plug is energised individually. This capability yields more optimum heat times for the glow plugs, thus pre-glow times can be kept to a minimum for short wait to crank times and maximum glow plug durability. A DTC will set if there is a glow plug system fault.

A normal functioning system operates as follows:

•  Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF, and at room temperature.

•  The glow plugs turn ON and heat up in 2 s and then are pulse-width modulated (PWM) for another 2 s.

•  The glow plug wait lamp is ON for 1 s during cold start.

•  The glow plug wait lamp may not illuminate during a warm engine start.

•  If the engine is cranked during or after the above sequence, the glow plugs may cycle ON and OFF after the ignition switch is returned from the start position, whether the engine starts or not. The engine does not have to be running to terminate the glow plug cycling.

The glow plug initial ON time will vary based on the system voltage and temperature. Lower temperatures cause longer ON times.

The ECM provides glow plug operation after starting a cold engine. This after start operation is initiated when the ignition switch is returned to Run, from the Start position. This function helps clean up excessive white smoke and/or poor idle quality after starting.

Glow Plugs

The glow plugs are 4.4 V heaters in each of the cylinders that turn ON, then are pulse-width modulated when the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position prior to starting the engine. The glow plug controller remains pulsing the glow plugs a short time after starting, then are turned OFF.

A Wait to Start lamp on the instrument panel provides information on engine starting conditions. The Wait to Start lamp will not illuminate during post-start glow plug operation.

Glow Plug/Controller

The glow plug controller is a solid state device which operates the glow plugs. The glow plug controller is connected to the following circuits:

•  The battery voltage circuits

•  The PWM signal circuit located between the ECM and the glow plug controller

•  The engine ground circuit

•  The glow plug supply voltage circuits located between the glow plug controller and the glow plugs.

The glow plug diagnostic circuits are directly monitored individually by using a separate transistor to control current to each glow plug. Individual diagnosis is thus possible for every glow plug.

Glow Plug Control Module Replacement

Removal Procedure
•Open the bonnet.
•If equipped, remove the battery cover. Refer to   Battery Cover Replacement .

•Disconnect the 2 wiring harness plugs (3).
•Remove the glow plug control module (1) by loosening the 2 retainer clips (2).

Installation Procedure

•Install the glow plug control module (1). Slide the glow plug control module (1) to the 2 retainer clips (2) until they audibly engage.
•Connect the 2 wiring harness plugs (3).
•If equipped, install the battery cover. Refer to   Battery Cover Replacement .
•Close the bonnet.

Continued in next post.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Fuel Controls - Glow Plug Controls and Manifold Tuning

K34 Glow Plug Control Module X1 (LBS or LSF)

K34 Glow Plug Control Module X2 (LBS or LSF)

K34 Glow Plug Control Module X1 (LPL or LPV)

K34 Glow Plug Control Module X2 (LPL or LPV)

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I aprreciate your spent time... Thanks Rusty.
Now i have to discover where is my k34 module, in my car.
i will wait for OPCom, is coming from china. Is possible other different error and this is not the fault.

I will post the advances.
If i locate the place of module in my car, i will post too.

Now a new ask: Can I post the information in my spanish forum? ( opelastraclub.com )
Do I have permission?
this experience make me better in english language; i used the google traductor in any cuestions but i understand a little, thanks mate.

Thanks friends and specially to Rusty; you know very much above our Machines¡¡¡¡
The spanish friend. Saxito@tech.
You're most welcome.

I wonder if the bracket it clips onto has broken and the module has fallen?

Or has someone played before and it's not been put back properly.

Yes that's fine to post it in the Spanish forum mate.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(27:th-Nov-2015, 17:31:40)Rusty2009 Wrote: I've not had a chance to look yet and I won't till Sunday (I've put a note on my PC screen so it'll be the 1st thing I do)

This may help with the fuse board tho

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-AFL...it-details

Once you've removed the top section IIRC there are a couple of nut's / bolts to undo.

I test only the glows and are OK, then i test with Tester whith voltmeter and i Read 11.5V for 1seg and 0V After.
thanks Rusty.
Now, this week go to test Homs in a conector in the midle of the main cable to glows.

When i Test the conector i said you, thanks Rusty, and good Idea¡¡  
Finally .
i can test with opcom the failure; and the failure is the lambda sensor, is heated too¡¡¡
thanks by your answers....

Happy new year 2016¡¡¡
glad you found the problem

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wrong Spark plugs chris87 0 1,595 4:th-Mar-2020, 17:50:35
Last Post: chris87
  Glow plugs sparkyscfc74 22 13,344 14:th-Feb-2019, 11:16:36
Last Post: Big Dave2