Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
new detail astra sri car

New car Astra SRi detail

Well as most of you know my new company car arrived. As it was driven from the dealership in Norwich it arrived with 175 miles on the clock. Within a few days I started the prep work for the forthcoming detail.

First up was to foam the car & give it a wash with Farecla G3 Body Prep shampoo. Then it was dried off with the awesome Big Yellow drying towel.

Next up was the wheels which were sprayed with Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels.

Wheels pressure washed & then the bodywork was sprayed with Bilt Hamber Korrosol, which IMO is as good as Iron-X, in fact i'd say it's better as you get more for your money.

I was quite shocked at the amount of fallout on the car, bearing in mind it's brand new.

Car then pressure washed down & washed again with Farecla G3. I didn't De-Tar the car as when inspected there wasn't any Tar to be seen

Then the car was clayed using Bilt Hamber regular clay. I used the G3 shampoo which was left in my wash bucket as the lube. The car was quite clean & this was the clay after the whole car had been done.

Car washed again, yes you guessed it, with Farecla G3. This left the car squeaky clean ready for the next stage which was to be done within a few days. The above took 3 hours in total.

A few days later the car was taken to Shane at High Definition Detail as he kindly let me use his unit in exchange for a few beer tokens.

Car at this stage was relatively clean, so just pressure washed the dust off & then washed with Farecla G3 yet again. Dried with the Big Yellow & the nooks & crannies were blasted out by my mate Steve with a pet dryer. Car then taken inside.

I then dressed the tyres with Adams VRT & the wheels were then covered up to save any potential splatter from polishing.

Whilst I was doing the wheels, Steve polished the car using a Flex VRG, Lake Country Hydrotech Pad using SiRamik Prime. This is a very mild polish, its a perfect product to use as it acts as a base for the forthcoming coating which was to be applied.

Once the polishing was complete Steve applied the SiRamik SC15 coating.

The coating is quite oily, care is needed not to let it dry out, so the bonnet was split into 3. Once the area is covered the product was buffed off & whilst Steve was doing the next area I carried out a secondary buffing to make sure all of the product has been removed. This took about 90 minutes to do the whole car. A 2nd coat was applied which took about an hour.

Some pics after the coating was applied.

The coating cures within a few hours, but it takes a week for it to fully harden. A sacrificial layer of SiRamik Mist was applied over the coating which would allow the coating to cure without the coating being compromised by any rain which might fall within the 1st 7 days.

The coating has been on a test car for nearly 18 months and is showing the same protection as it was when 1st applied.

Car then taken outside, disappointedly the sun went into hiding.

The above took a further 9 hours in addition to the 3 hours spent detoxing the car.

The following morning I came out to this as it had rained overnight.

Many thanks to Shane for the unit & to Steve for all his work.
Great right up and lovely looking car. The colour is stunning.
Great write up that colour looks grey in some of the pics and a very very pale blue in others.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(28:th-Apr-2015, 07:25:55)Rusty2009 Wrote: Great write up that colour looks grey in some of the pics and a very very pale blue in others.

Thanks, the colour changes with the light, grey, light blue & pearl when the sun hits it.
Lovely.

Is that Flip Chip or Seashell?

Seashell is my favourite colour!
(28:th-Apr-2015, 13:06:10)Jj0063 Wrote: Lovely.

Is that Flip Chip or Seashell?

Seashell is my favourite colour!

Thanks & its Seashell
Very nice. I'm well into detailing now. Did mine at the weekend. Probably not to the standard of yours though. Ha.

I want to do mine again! Gutted I've got to wait a few months for the wax to wear off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(28:th-Apr-2015, 16:54:05)dutton84 Wrote: Very nice. I'm well into detailing now. Did mine at the weekend. Probably not to the standard of yours though. Ha.

I want to do mine again! Gutted I've got to wait a few months for the wax to wear off.

Cheers, you don't have to wait, just remove your wax. You can use Autobrite Wax Off, clay the car & wash with Farecla G3 detox shampoo, all of which will remove it.
very good wright up and a very well done job top marks
Cool. Cheers for the info.

(28:th-Apr-2015, 19:01:47)tucpal Wrote: very good wright up and a very well done job top marks

Cheers 
Adore the colour looks great

(29:th-Apr-2015, 18:09:25)DE5IRED Wrote: Adore the colour looks great

Cheers
Avid car detailer
Gave the car a clean today, came up rather nice I think

a good detail lasts very well
(4:th-May-2015, 19:07:59)tucpal Wrote: a good detail lasts very well

Cheers
Fantastic buddy. loving the colour.
(9:th-May-2015, 20:15:54)SI SRI Wrote: Fantastic buddy. loving the colour.

Cheers
Decided to wax over the SiRamik coating to see if I could add any gloss. Wow I'm extremely happy with the results.

I've used many waxes but I have to say this is one of the easiest I've tried. I applied it to the whole car & then went back & buffed it off. It came off so easy. Some waxes you have to do a panel or 2 at a time, not this one.

Very impressive gloss levels IMO
Avid car detailer
That looks nice. Need to do mine again

How much is that stuff?

very nice
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(6:th-Oct-2015, 12:59:33)dutton84 Wrote: That looks nice. Need to do mine again

How much is that stuff?

Cheers, you can get samples for £7.00 for a 30ml tin, or the 200ml glass jar is about £45.00
Avid car detailer
that really does look good stuff i will give that a look at
Looks awesome that mate, I'm praying weather is nice tomorrow to do mine. Needs done badly, think I need to invest in some decent wax!! Do people hand polish their cars or use a machine? Also how difficult is it?

Shaunwistow have you used this wax before? If so what do you reckon to it? I think it's good but it's the only wax I've ever used

(7:th-Oct-2015, 07:13:58)dutton84 Wrote: Shaunwistow have you used this wax before? If so what do you reckon to it? I think it's good but it's the only wax I've ever used

Yes I have used it, it is ok, but better ones out there IMO. Loads to choose from, if you are happy with G3 then just stick with it. I'm a bit of a wax ***** so I tend to try quite a few.

(6:th-Oct-2015, 23:08:18)Tonto Wrote: Looks awesome that mate, I'm praying weather is nice tomorrow to do mine. Needs done badly, think I need to invest in some decent wax!! Do people hand polish their cars or use a machine? Also how difficult is it?

Best results are achieved with a machine polisher. You will never get the same results by hand & by god its hard work polishing by hand.

It's not difficult, just take your time & apply some common sense. Best results are achieved with a proper detox of the paint first ie wash, de-tar, de-iron, clay before polishing.
Avid car detailer
Thanks Shaun, I don't have a machine so no polishing for me haha. Will get some decent wax and have a go though. Been using halfords own stuff :/

(7:th-Oct-2015, 08:45:29)Tonto Wrote: Thanks Shaun, I don't have a machine so no polishing for me haha. Will get some decent wax and have a go though. Been using halfords own stuff :/

No probs, you can polish by hand but its bloody hard work. If you have very slight swirls/marring the something like Gtechniq P1 is good by hand, especially if you want to end up with arms like Popeye, lol.
Avid car detailer
Haha no bother, I'll just stick to wash and wax at the moment. Did see a bloke in Gateshead offering mobile detailing so may take him up on that after the winter!