Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
coil pack

coil pack
I'm having classic signs that my coil pack is on its way out. Looking at various sites prices seem to range from 80 -230. Expensive doesn't always mean they are better so do you have any advise
IIRC [MENTION=2]tucpal[/MENTION] had to replace his coil pack
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Cheers Rusty, I've just pm'd him now
yer that is common on the 1.6 to be honest i would change the plugs first
for better ones the standard plugs are not really up to the job of 40k as vauxhall say
most people jump on the its my coil pack when in fact it may well just be the plugs
i would just change them first and see what happens
dont bother with GM spark plugs there over priced get the champion or NGK equivalent
as for the coil pack if it has gone or is going the i would use a genuine one
but i would not not have any problems with a used one at all
try the champion eon2 plugs there around £20 from motorworld
and are a much better plug to use
you will find the plugs you have are just standard champion plugs with a GM stamp on them
and a high price tag to boot

also i would remove the coil pack you have and check the 4 plug holders
as the springs inside the 4 holders need to connect with the spark plug
and it is common for the springs or one spring to go out of position making a bad connection

BAD CONNECTION SPRING HAS MOVED OUT OF POSITION

CORRECT SPRING FACING DOWN

also mate just be careful taking it out and lift from both sides
as it may brake if you pull from one side only
Thank you for your replies. After changing the plugs and checking those springs in the coil pack(one was a bit wonky in there) I am pleased to say that it is running great again. If it wasn't for you guys, I would have blown £200 on plugs and a new coil pack but actually got away with spending under £20.
your welcome no problem at all.

it is a common miss conception to blame the coil pack and all to often people are being told it is the coil pack and it is some sort of know fault
when in fact the plugs are the first things to check along with the coil spring aliment this usually resolves the issue 90% of the time
if you have the same trouble after replacing the plugs etc then the coil pack my be at fault.

the biggest problem i think is Vauxhall claiming the plugs will last 40k or 4 years
and most astra j cars i have seen with this problem tend to start at around the 20k mark
for what they cost i would recommend every two years 20k