Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
sheppy1 progress thread

Progress Thread: Sheppy1
The wire. I wouldn't splice personally, I'd do what I've done and piggy back into the fuse with a hardwire kit, but hey we all think our own way is the best Haha

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
I've done that already mate to get my glove box USB port installed. It was permanent live though... Is yours not?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

No, mines ignition, I want to say 11 but I could be wrong. @rusty2009 or @tucpal will set me straight I'm sure

Aha! If that's the case then I'll do that! Cheers mate! Now to await a reply from the elders ha

Haha, I would look but I'm abit lazy and can't be bothered to step outside my front door. I can give you a picture however lol

Pft.... Who says you can't do everything on your phone. Fuse 6. Stand down @Rusty2009 and @tucpal the youngsters have managed it.

Um fuse 6 is a 20amp fuse the piggy backs are rated to 10amp max.

Like the sponge tho hope you didn't Nick the Mrs's best pink one.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Oh don't be telling me that Haha. Im confident that the camera draws that little power that there won't be a problem. It's got 35a worth of fuses so fingers crossed... Touch wood it's been ok to date.

Hey now, don't mock the sponge.... I only got moaned at for a few minutes lol

Just looking back, the nextbase hardwire kit i installed in the sister in laws car comes with 2a fuses so I'd say it's fair to assume that they don't draw much power

Cheers for the input chaps! so if be save to use fuse 6 in the front then? I'm sure I've already got that one in use though for something or other! I'll have to have a look in the morning

Oh... Can I just chop the cigarette plug off the cable then and use that or do I need to use a USB cable and chip the USB end of it at the large plug side? Or does it not matter? Lol

Ta

The camera it's self won't no, but you've got a 20amp fuse in a 10amp max housing and metal contacts.

Just keep an eye on it.

Lol a few minutes you can live with for a quite car lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Oh... And where do you get these fuse kits from? Ta

I didn't splice the cams wire mate. Just into the rear 12v socket and ran a cable to glovebox where I have another socket to keep dashcam cable in.

Also never said it was the best way, just trying to be helpful and offer an alternative you may not have thought of doing.

(12:th-Sep-2016, 21:30:34)Rusty2009 Wrote: The camera it's self won't no, but you've got a 20amp fuse in a 10amp max housing and metal contacts.

Just keep an eye on it.

Lol a few minutes you can live with for a quite car lol.

Ahh, see what you're saying. Yeah I'll keep an eye on it. That said it's been installed for 6 months now and nothing has gone bang lol.

That is so true. At least she'll stop nagging eventually. The car won't stop rattling.

@tonto I wasn't having a dig or owt mate. Sorry if it came across that way.

@tonto

I don't have a rear cigarette lighter anyway

Also it appears my fuse box already has something piggy backing off what appears to be fuse 6...

I think it might be my retrofit heated seats! Haha

Do not cut the cig lighter end off the cam! They have a voltage converter that reduces the cars 12v down to 5v, you'll blow the cam if you cut the male cig end off the lead.

On my Astra I just added a 2nd female cig socket piggy backed from OEM wiring under the centre console, very easy & had no issues in the year it was done like that!
Hahahaha that will be why reece had the issues he had then! He ended up blowing his factory cigarette lighter socket too lol

Right! Sounds like a plan so did it just float around then or did you secure it under the centre console somehow?

Ta

Go to Halfords & buy the following:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/g...te-lighter

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/g...rs-15-amps

It's that simple, just scotch lock it onto the existing cig socket wiring. It'll still use the fuse for the original socket so no danger & the cam draws such little current you'll never blow anything. Jesus I've wired a three socket multi adaptor thing powering my Garmin, dash cam and a double USB with two iphone chargers and its never caused any issues lol.

Once wired in on the Astra there was enough room under the cubby hole to be able to sort of tuck it/wedge it so it doesn't move. you'll see what I mean when you remove the plastic cubby hole base/socket housing to attach the wiring.

Best of all you can remove it again when you get rid of the car with no damage as you just remove the scotch locks

HTH
Cheers for the info! I know what you mean anyway I've gone and bought one of those cigarette plugs from amazon instead as it was only a fiver with next day delivery. Also I'll a valid the scotch locks myself as they were pangs last time I used them! Connection was naff.. I'll just splice the wires into the existing power and ground wires by hand.

Cheers for the help!

best way mate
Orite guys i listened and bought one of those secondary 12v sockets. Just spliced it into the wiring for the existing one and tucked it away to the side of the centre console. It'd secured with tape too so it won't rattle around. It all works a treat!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yay for no exposed power wire! Ha

I hate wires so this pleases me haha

(17:th-Sep-2016, 19:56:32)bhalay207 Wrote: I hate wires so this pleases me haha

Haha as long as you're happy mate nahhh I'm impressed with it too

I have a bit of an ocd thing when it comes to wires. I hate the fact my phone charger cable is hanging around

(17:th-Sep-2016, 22:17:15)bhalay207 Wrote: I have a bit of an ocd thing when it comes to wires. I hate the fact my phone charger cable is hanging around

See... I'm the same, I just wasn't bothered by the power cable for the dash cam for some reason. I've ever just bought a half meter power cable for my phone to replace the longer one so that there is less loose cable in the centre compartment haha

Ooo, that's an idea lol

hey mate are them silver door lock covers you got still working and on the car were they worth the effort
(28:th-Sep-2016, 21:00:34)tucpal Wrote: hey mate are them silver door lock covers you got still working and on the car were they worth the effort
Hey! Do you mean the chrome door pins?

No door latch covers
(29:th-Sep-2016, 09:02:13)tucpal Wrote: No door latch covers
Oh yeah! They've been fine mate, all stayed on, not been scratched by the doors opening and closing and were cheap from AliExpress too. Tbh I can't say I've actually looked at them since installing them! Haha. But yeah, they've been fine and worth doing if the factory has exposed catches are bugging you

Cheers I have the black ones but I like the other type will get some ordered
Didn't think you had any full stop. But yeah go for it! Nice and cheap and tidy things up a bit don't they

cheers mate yeah the black ones look a bit cheap haha
Did a bit of rattle proofing with an official vauxhall anti rattle device today! I tell a lie... It's half a 35p tesco sponge haha

dayle, your mad lol, does it work tho
Hahaha others suggested it! And Ermmm... No! I don't think I padded the correct area lol. It only started in the head liner after I messed with the wiring when installing the dash cam!

Oh and our fearless leader is doing me an LED conversion! All my centre console, roof buttons etc. All the buttons that are red basically... The colour I've gone for is purple!

So my car will have the purple buttons, ref ambient lights (that's what I currently have and don't wanna change it) and then white for the footwell lighting etc. I think it should all look good myself no clashing colours or anything

Sneak peak of what he's done so far...

I'm told they look nice and bright in person!

they will look good
Ya think so? No one has done purple that we know of so be interesting to see how it looks! But yeah I reckon it will look nice too! Reckon it will look okay with the cluster screen, gearstick ambient light and door ambient lights still in red though?

Next mod (after I've installed the new purple led console items that Russell is sending to me) is to get tpms from the people that make my head unit here's the product

http://www.roadnavi.com/product/tpms-for-sat-nav-818/

And it will send the data to the current car info app on the head unit

Be buying it end of next week

I like that Sheppy. I might just be interested in getting one...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Good isn't it! I like that the built in car info app looks half decent too and that it integrates well with it. I've asked them about having the KPG changed to PSI though and they tell me it'd programmed on the TPMS control module at the factory... Unsure how that would work though! What ya think?

That really looks good. Kpg suits me fine so not worried about that.

However, I'm actively trying not to spend any unnecessary funds on the car at the moment due to pending road tax and insurance. fat chance though...

Aha! Yeah! I keep forgetting where you live haha. Lucky git! All the figures on that screen are wrong for me! Even KoTiX man said he probably can't even fix it lol.

Yeaahh... See, you were destined to fail at that one when you logged onto the forums hahaha

Tpms ordered

hi looks fab , are they based in china ? if so what china money do they use ( trying to convert the money to pound to see how much it is
thanks
(11:th-Oct-2016, 17:07:34)opelastra Wrote: hi looks fab , are they based in china ? if so what china money do they use ( trying to convert the money to pound to see how much it is
thanks
Not bad eh! And they are but their site gives the figures in USD. It worked our at around 98GBP (£)

TPMS was shipped today and I paid for which delivery too... So with any luck I'll have it next week and can try and get it installed next weekend

Nice. Keep us posted.

I definitely will do mate!

So! My TPMS arrived in the country on Friday... Only took 2 days to come from Singapore! But it's not due for delivery till Monday! Haha. 2 days to travel half way around the world but 3 days to travel less than 15 miles from where it's currently sitting in Manchester to my house! Ha

Sounds about right mate.

Nice clean car!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Progress Thread - Astra 2.0CDTi (165) eCOFlex Jonathaneuk Jonathaneuk 104 40,322 20:th-Jan-2024, 15:20:34
Last Post: Dominattor
  Progress thread Rusty2009 Rusty2009 416 180,238 27:th-Mar-2022, 09:32:35
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Progress thread : White Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri vx line marcus 193 93,257 1:st-Aug-2021, 11:24:07
Last Post: Chip
  Progress thread - AstraRT AstraRT 5 4,605 10:th-Jan-2021, 08:35:22
  Qaranc's Astra progress Qaranc 12 9,494 7:th-Nov-2020, 08:06:37
Last Post: Jetcolour
  Alex's Progress Thread AlexFitton 95 42,575 27:th-Jun-2020, 08:53:48
  Sparkyscfc74’s progress thread sparkyscfc74 485 560,525 13:th-Jun-2020, 08:24:38
  JohnL's VXR Progress thread JohnL 17 13,899 15:th-Feb-2020, 12:38:28
Last Post: olihil18
  Where's my thread? Telsun 2 3,605 1:st-Jan-2019, 09:49:57
Last Post: Telsun
  Progress Thread Conor97 Conor97 28 13,571 9:th-Sep-2018, 19:37:44
Last Post: Conor97

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
iNeoTom (4:th-Mar-2024, 21:46:06)