Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Tags
progress sparkyscfc74’s thread

Sparkyscfc74’s progress thread
sparkyscfc74 Wrote:Yeah cheers for that, I know it sounds like I’m being a bit anal but you can also see the reflection of the chrome in the windscreen!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, I noticed that from your pictures as well. Because of that I decided I wasn't going to buy them. I hate reflections in my windscreen they do destract me 
Had to change my reverse camera today because the original one was pointing too far down and had started to mist inside the lens. Bought an adjustable one and it gives a much better picture at night too

Also used the leftover vinyl to wrap the window switches.

Think I'm going to trim underneath where the switches are as it's not stuck very well!!
Pretty sure I have the exact same camera, not happy with my current one either, however I am learning the lesson of the first hole being bigger than the second needs to be.

Nice look on the window switches!

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||
The other one was pointing too far down and although I don’t like where I’ve had to put this one it’s a far better picture

My current one is a straight out, with a bit of change able through rings, but the guide lines are terrible and for some reason it's on about 4x zoom :o

Decided this adjustable one would be better, to let me get the view just right and if the lines are terrible still, cut the wire.

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||
Yeah mine aren’t too bad I’ve checked them with the ones on the android unit and they pretty much line up. I’ve got a setting for trajectory as well but I’m not that bad at reversing

With you there! The camera is there as where I live it can sometimes get really tight to get back out a space that was wide open hours earlier, and for reversing in dog walking areas/parks were small things that go squish can be present but not seen very easily.

Actually watched a woman about run over her own dog yesterday morning after leaving one behind!

I've decided that my first mod after Christmas is an M Tech short shifter. I've found that It's cheaper to by them from the UK supplier direct than Ebay even though it's the same people??
http://shop.wgmotorworks.co.uk/index.php...uct_id=338
I've been looking at these retro fit heated seat kits on eBay and was wondering a few things. Has anyone on here had any experience / or fitted them and how hard would it be to remove the seat trim?? They seem simple enough to wire up, but I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to get the seat covers back on properly?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-2-seats-Un...SwEOpaFpjG
sparkyscfc74 Wrote:I've decided that my first mod after Christmas is an M Tech short shifter. I've found that It's cheaper to by them from the UK supplier direct than Ebay even though it's the same people??

I find them rather expensive but you can't find any other ones than the M tech's.
Was also looking into this but decided against it. The shifting with this M32 gearbox is not great and sometimes a bit hard in the lower gears. I figured installing a short shifter might improve precision but would also make the gear shifts even harder.

On the other hand I found a guy that made his own by drilling and threading a new hole in the shifter thingy closer to the pivot point thus making the shifting shorter. Was about to try this but didn't yet because of above reasons.
I removed all seats from my vectra C to deep clean them and the upholstery was a rather simple process, however the refit was a little bit looser than original.

Wonder if it's possible to work this with the factory switches....

(24:th-Nov-2017, 11:05:55)rlievens Wrote:
sparkyscfc74 Wrote:I've decided that my first mod after Christmas is an M Tech short shifter. I've found that It's cheaper to by them from the UK supplier direct than Ebay even though it's the same people??

I find them rather expensive but you can't find any other ones than the M tech's.
Was also looking into this but decided against it. The shifting with this M32 gearbox is not great and sometimes a bit hard in the lower gears. I figured installing a short shifter might improve precision but would also make the gear shifts even harder.

On the other hand I found a guy that made his own by drilling and threading a new hole in the shifter thingy closer to the pivot point thus making the shifting shorter. Was about to try this but didn't yet because of above reasons.

Yeah they are a bit expensive but I find the long throw annoying. I couldn’t find any other make either.

(24:th-Nov-2017, 11:14:20)umognog Wrote: I removed all seats from my vectra C to deep clean them and the upholstery was a rather simple process, however the refit was a little bit looser than original.

Wonder if it's possible to work this with the factory switches....

That was my worry I’d be more gutted if the trim was a bit loose than being happy about having the heated seats!!! I’m pretty sure that someone on here would know if you could use original switches providing you had the block connectors on the switches and a wiring diagram

If you are a dab hand with a needle might get a better result. It wasn't terrible or anything, just not that factory tight fit.

Regarding the switches, these are tactile PCB switches so it would run off the one-wire comms would it not? Might look at my PCB again as I can't help but think the board switches were there so it may be as simple as doing a switch test and checking the pin-out from the bcm for a signal.

I’m actually not bad with a needle and thread
I wouldn’t have to have factory switches, I’ve found another version with separate rocker switches that could be installed on the plastic trim on the side of the seats.
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-Cars-Carbo...0890.m2460

Not a bad set - one thing I have noticed about the astra J is that it is lacking in surfaces for additional switches up front! I'm isolating all my additional lighting from up front & rear and the rear is easy peasy, but the front really doesn't leave much space. I think I'm opting for toggle switches mounted in the roof console though.

Not a bad set - one thing I have noticed about the astra J is that it is lacking in surfaces for additional switches up front! I'm isolating all my additional lighting from up front & rear and the rear is easy peasy, but the front really doesn't leave much space. I think I'm opting for toggle switches mounted in the roof console though.

Yeah there’s plenty of room up there just don’t end up making it look like “kitt” or maybe you’re not that old? ???

About 15 years ago I nearly got a Trans am in gold that I would have had resprayed! However there was so much more body kit modification done to that care for kitt!

As daft as it sounds I’ll probably end up waiting until after winter now to fit the heated seats because of stripping the car down in the cold/rain and all other British weather wouldn’t be much fun. I’m even paying my local garage to fit my short shifter for the same reason!

Doesn't sound daft at all. I have spent about 18 hours the last couple of the weeks completely exposed doing g work and it's not been fun. Last weekend if averaged 3°c

I'm now on santa's naughty list because I've ordered a K&N air filter before Christmas and I wasn't supposed to have anything else for my car until after.

Naughty naught

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Going to get my butt kicked if the wife finds out, but I’ve ordered these too
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06XXGPB41

Like it didn't know they did them think if i order some i can hide them from missus lol
It’s ok, they’re coming from China and won’t be here until the new year

Yep i ordered

K&N air filter fitted..... shhhh nobody will ever know

Merry Christmas to everyone and their families on VXOC!!!!

Fitted my dab+ yesterday, works well while sat on the drive just need to see how it works when driving

Struggling with my DAB+ app, it keeps making my unit freeze!!! Does anyone know of any APK downloads I can try?

Just ordered my MTech short shifter to get it fitted in time for my birthday

You will definately notice the difference with the short shifter made my gearbox going from 1st to 2nd 10x better no more crunching best purchase I made.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
My gloss black vinyl wrap arrived today so I’ve now de-chromed my window trim
from this

to this

I had new mats for Christmas but I’m waiting until the weather has improved

I know this seems a bit counter productive, but I've just ordered a couple of slim line Limited Edition badges from eBay!!! Yes I know I've de-badged the car, but I just wanted to see how they look and if they're a bit cheesy they only cost £3.25
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171911937769

Thought I could put them on the wings where the SRI badges used to be.
I've been toying with the idea of buying a pedal boxhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-J-2009-2-0-CdTi-165PS-Racechip-XLR-Throttle-Response-Pedal-Box/162671598397?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Da6783ab4412f4b219132629f7a097b3c%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D162671598397&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%253Accaf4249-ed6f-11e7-bfb4-74dbd180daef%257Cparentrq%253Aa7e0b1e71600aa47a5178d5fffe5d343%257Ciid%253A1
I'm thinking that along with the short shifter, it will transform the drivability of the car. I don't see the point in going for a remap or tuning box because nowadays, how fast can you really drive especially around town and commuting?

Sorry, didn't paste that link correctly!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astr...Ciid%253A1
I’ve now ordered a race chip pedal box can’t wait to get it fitted along with the short shifter!!!

My Limited Edition badges came today so fitted them on each wing underneath the repeaters.

Can’t make my mind up if they look ok, so opinions would be welcome good or bad I don’t get offended
After that I got bored and impatient that I’d got to wait until Monday to get my short shifter fitted, so I decided to do it myself.
1 hour and a few scraped knuckles later.......

Sorted!!!

Good stuff mate looking good you should notice a big difference with the short shifter especially going 1st to 2nd.

Yeah I have, what do you think about the badges? or

Looks different, which is good as it looks quite good against the black paint.

Going to paint my brake callipers red soon, inly problem is I've got no jack and wheel brace!!! Will have to look at the wife's out of her Seat Leon to see if that would work.
Think they look good not over powering ?

That’s what I was going for subtle
Short shifter feels great just can’t wait for my pedal box to come

If your going to do the calipers mate I would invest in a trolley Jack and axle stands as the scissor jacks that come with cars are a death trap to be honest especially for a prolonged period. Even changing a tyre with them as they are quite unstable but a suppose they do for a quick tyre change but not for working under the car. You will find it a worth while purchase anyway as my jack is never away from the car always finding something that I can do lol. Also red would look quite smart on the car.

Yeah I think that’s probably best just makes a relatively cheap job a little bit more expensive

Coming on nicely mate.

Want a short shifter myself.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Thanks mate.They are perhaps a bit expensive for what they are but well worth it!! When the pedal box comes I’m hoping it’s even better

Let me know how you get on with the pedal box and if you notice much of a difference mate as I may invest in one at a later date lol but don't know if it will just make my car wheelspin with the map on it.

I’ve had the RaceChip XLR it’s got 7 settings and yes I’m thinking if you had it on race or race+ I think it would spin. I’ve said in earlier post I wasn’t going to bother with the RaceChip tuning box but I might change my mind apparently it should take it to 197bhp and works well with the pedal box

I’ll let you know, I should have it by tomorrow hopefully.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Progress Thread - Astra 2.0CDTi (165) eCOFlex Jonathaneuk Jonathaneuk 104 39,158 20:th-Jan-2024, 15:20:34
Last Post: Dominattor
  Progress thread Rusty2009 Rusty2009 416 175,774 27:th-Mar-2022, 09:32:35
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Progress thread : White Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri vx line marcus 193 91,138 1:st-Aug-2021, 11:24:07
Last Post: Chip
  Progress thread - AstraRT AstraRT 5 4,464 10:th-Jan-2021, 08:35:22
  Qaranc's Astra progress Qaranc 12 9,223 7:th-Nov-2020, 08:06:37
Last Post: Jetcolour
  Alex's Progress Thread AlexFitton 95 41,453 27:th-Jun-2020, 08:53:48
  JohnL's VXR Progress thread JohnL 17 13,571 15:th-Feb-2020, 12:38:28
Last Post: olihil18
  Where's my thread? Telsun 2 3,517 1:st-Jan-2019, 09:49:57
Last Post: Telsun
  Progress Thread Conor97 Conor97 28 12,837 9:th-Sep-2018, 19:37:44