Switch to desktop version  
Lighting & front power socket issues - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Common Problems (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Lighting & front power socket issues (/showthread.php?tid=5087)

Lighting & front power socket issues - phlyer - 17:th-Mar-2023

Gruntings all! 

Firstly I apologise this is a bit long due to listing the details and stuff I've already tried.  

Out driving the car a lot for the first time in months on a jolly to lincs on Weds this week became aware of 2 problems on the day that I'm struggling to resolve.  Everything OK first thing.  250 miles down to Lincs OK.  

First problem is right rear indicator. When I signal right, I get 3 flashes and then an error saying check the bulb, along with the typical fast flash failed bulb symptom. If I cancel it and re signal I get 3 flashes, then the error repeats etc ad infinitum.

I've had the cluster off replaced the bulb, no difference, the error still occurs.  

During more in depth fault finding yesterday I discovered that both the fog and reversing lights are also u/s.  Both clusters removed and bulbs checked today with a tester, both are OK.  When I switch on the fog, the dash indication lights up. When i select reverse gear, with the ignition on but eng not running, theres nothing at the back from either light.  I've tried it engine running in the dark looking for the illumination in the mirrors, nothing from either. 

So.  One of the forums mentions a fuse think it was no 10 iirc in the glove box panel, linked to external lights, anyway checked that and its good.   Is there another fuse anyone is aware of that could be the cause?  I've downloaded diagrams and keys for the fuseboxes and the fuses that tally with the car.  

One other thing that's jiggled in my head reading up, is that the service vehicle soon indication pops up intermittently since the car was serviced late last year.   I put this down to the garage not resetting it, but I read that this is now used in lieu of a general fault if something else is going wrong.  I just cancel it off when it appears. 

2nd problem, when setting off to come home, the sat nav plugged into the front console power cig socket didn't turn on with the ignition.  The power to the front sockets gone off, but was working fine all the way down.  The fusebox key lists this as no 6, front power socket, and the fuse is good.  Is there another fuse ?    

Now I can't rule out all these failures happening at the same time, potentially thru 1 cause.  Certainly this power loss and the indicator issue were picked up quickly, the fog /  reversing God knows, could have been weeks as they're not a Cambus checked light  - and my other half isn't the most observant of women... Anyway in a desperation measure, I sequentially removed every, and I mean every fuse in the glove and engine boxes and visually checked em.  All are good.  None were blown.  

I am literally stumped.   With these assorted issues all of which i believe are fairly recent ie the last 2 months, I now can't help but wonder if I've got an electrical issue somewhere that's beginning to deteriorate.  

Car is a 15 plate 2L CDTI 5 d hatch.  Cars bog standard throughout, yeah boring I know, apart from LED replacement 501s in the courtesy and all 6 tail lights, which I had planned, and have gone in today with me taking the clusters off. They are OK and working.  

One other thing I did forget, the stop start has stopped working too. It was erratic but hasn't worked for a good 3 or 4 months.

Suggestions and solutions needed.  Thx in advance,

Phil the Frustrated!