Switch to desktop version  
Intermittent Power Loss - No Codes - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Technical (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Forum: Mechanical (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+---- Thread: Intermittent Power Loss - No Codes (/showthread.php?tid=4935)

Intermittent Power Loss - No Codes - Astranought - 27:th-Apr-2021

Hi. The car is a 2010 1.6 Petrol Exclusiv 113 - 64000 miles. From cold it runs perfectly but after a few miles it is intermittently loses power under load  - going uphill or accelerating hardish. It feels more like a general reduction of power than loss of individual cylinder(s) but I'm not sure on that. No codes are displayed while the fault is occurring and there are none stored, according to my local garage. I've read elsewhere on the forum of similar problems resolved by a fuel filter change and the garage mechanic suggested that may be the issue but then discovered that the fuel filter isn't a replacement part on this model. It's integral to the fuel tank? 
I have changed the plugs but not the coil pack as it looks like it has been changed before - probably by the previous owner trying to resolve the same problem. But wouldn't a faulty coil pack yield a code?
I'm on the cusp of selling the car at a substantial loss because of this but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts?
Thanks in anticipation.

RE: Intermittent Power Loss - No Codes - Jpbroad1970 - 27:th-Apr-2021

What code reader have you been using not all are good.

I would have thought fuel issue would show through with code on fuel pressure sensor.

RE: Intermittent Power Loss - No Codes - Astranought - 28:th-Apr-2021

(27:th-Apr-2021, 18:57:41)Jpbroad1970 Wrote: What code reader have you been using not all are good.

I would have thought fuel issue would show through with code on fuel pressure sensor.

Thanks for your reply.

It was the garage mechanic operating his own code reader. I assume it was a good one.

I agree - I thought that just about anything would yield a code. I thought codes came up even when it seemed nothing at all was wrong! Is it possible that the reporting of certain codes has somehow been blocked to hide faults?  Having said that, the EML light shows with all other dash lights during the switch on self-test procedure and I do get error codes for stuff to do with bulbs etc.

RE: Intermittent Power Loss - No Codes - Jpbroad1970 - 28:th-Apr-2021

I use MDI and opcom.

Some readers don't fully work with astra j, even opcom is limited. MDI is GM tool.

You could do with some live tests to see if anything is amiss. If it running that bad there would definitely be codes stored past and present as long as they haven't been deleted.

(28:th-Apr-2021, 18:08:56)Jpbroad1970 Wrote: I use MDI and opcom.

Some readers don't fully work with astra j, even opcom is limited. MDI is GM tool.

You could do with some live tests to see if anything is amiss. If it running that bad there would definitely be codes stored past and present as long as they haven't been deleted.

OK. I'll go back to the garage and see how confident he is in his code reader. However, no codes appear on the dash while the fault is happening. 
Cheers

Nothing appears on your dash, only thing you might get is a service vehicle soon and car go into limp mode.

I'm obviously on a bit of a learning curve here

Where are you located?

RE: Intermittent Power Loss - No Codes - Astranought - 29:th-Apr-2021

(28:th-Apr-2021, 20:07:28)Jpbroad1970 Wrote: Where are you located?

Sorry - I didn't spot your message. I'm in Teignmouth, Devon

RE: Intermittent Power Loss - No Codes - Jpbroad1970 - 29:th-Apr-2021

If you were local I would have had a look for you

RE: Intermittent Power Loss - No Codes - Astranought - 29:th-Apr-2021

Thanks for the thought.