Switch to desktop version  
Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Members car's progress threads (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE (/showthread.php?tid=3564)

Pages: 1 2 3

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - sparkyscfc74 - 5:th-Nov-2017

Yeah thanks for that I’ll have a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 5:th-Nov-2017

@Rusty2009 - do you happen to know the LED type in the door ambient light PCB? It looks plcc-6 and from the +/- connections I tested, I don't think I can fudge this with a different smd?

However, given the number of times I want to use the plcc-4 instead of plcc-2 thought I would ask your opinion?

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - sparkyscfc74 - 5:th-Nov-2017

Checked fuse 19 it’s a 15amp and it’s not gone, vanity mirror lights are lit up but very dull so I think it might have tripped. Don’t know how long it takes to come back on though?

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 5:th-Nov-2017

My living room is not making the wife happy

Driver's door card + various other panels from the car sitting there.

I'm going for a home run:

Front & rear footwells
Front & rear door pockets LED Spot.
Front & rear puddle lights

Trying to hit the wiring in one go as much as possible to avoid removing the door car frequently & to avoid removing the trim unnecessarily repeatedly.

My plan is:
Run 0.75mm flex (happen to have it lying around) from roof, down pillar to door & footwell, split off to rear & same again.

In the door, I have 3mm 12v led for the door pockets & I have a choice of COB or spots for the puddle lights. I'm not sure which, but the spots will require holes.

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - Rusty2009 - 6:th-Nov-2017

lol that's the problem with any broken bone and you suffer more in winter.

I broke my right wrist in 2 places at school and broke my left kneecap & 2 ribs when a ladder went from under me.

With the IPC the needles are a pain I always turn the key to poss 2 when clipping them home after taking them off stops any needle bounce.

As for the lights if the fuse hasn't gone it's just the BCM that you've freaked out (out as they off the BCM) once the BCM has settled down they will come back on.

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 12:th-Nov-2017

Update Sunday!

We all know the saga of the wonky tachometer. After adjusting whilst in the dash, it went back to bad, Rusty suggested going back to the beginning.

This is how it looked on auto start/stop:

And this is how it looked switched off:

Dismantled again, repositioned needle, full sweep and i noticed the lowest stop point was that few degrees past the off.

So bugger it, all the way clockwise till it stopped, then I pushed a little harder. It gave way, span anti-clockwise and needed a tiny nudge that wya past the halt to get it back on "off"

Result! Tachometer is now pointing the needle correctly.

Last weekend, the car got a little bit of a clean, not a full effort, to much going on for the time, but here is the car after a debadge.

I have decided I am removing the Griffen as well, awaiting a replacement badge arriving.

Onwards with the more recent upgrades then!

My car is in tatters. If there is a trim panel that can be removed, it is currently removed & in the house or in the boot.

Don't tell the Mrs, but this was my living room today:

Bonus, cat in a crisp box. Put a blanket it in a few months back, they love it.

So here I was measuring & marking up holes for the reverse camera & lights. I decided to go with the bumper after some dry testing found it made zero difference, except for how close you would think things were. As I need space to get a golden retriever in and out the back, this wasn't a bad this for me, so onwards I went.

I drilled the hole, fitted, and went to replace the parking sensors with the LED's to find the led flange was too small and fell through the hole. So I made new holes. I'm not very satisfied with the look, they function but don't look that great so I'm looking for suitable alternatives.

I used some connectors from the "how to add a connector" how-to for disconnection/reconnection and fed the wires in through the body grommet already used by the parking sensors.

Power for both camera & lights is coming from the reverse light

Top tip for anyone thinking of placing items in the bumper here: clearance with the impact frame is about 1.5", be careful or you will have trouble refitting the bumper. I got lucky.

Anyway, here it was refitted, in reverse & a view of the light from the back.

At least now I can see little dogs (or children) behind me in dark park car parks!

Also done but not refitted, I hauled the door cards out and fitted green spot lights to light up the door pockets connected to ambient & I have changed the ambient from red to green too.

I haven't refitted these as I ran out of time today to run power from the courtesy down to the footwells & all 4 doors.

As a result, the car remains in loving tatters. I hope to get the power wiring done in a single go, have run a length of 5A twincore from the glovebox to the boot as well to install all the LED's in the boot trim later. Isolation switches ordered and I have decided that I will install an aux battery system for powering my telescope, batteries etc. when out on long nights, so ordered a switch that can disconnect the car battery and will connect the aux if present.

Anyone recommend some hefty guage wire for a car battery supply, I intend to run the aux directly to the main car battery/switch system so essentially everything is connected to the car, and I'm literally switching battery source.

Hope that made sense.

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - Rusty2009 - 13:th-Nov-2017

Coming along nicely there.

https://www.electricalcarservices.com/battery-leads-made-to-order/c-p-0-0-535

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - sparkyscfc74 - 13:th-Nov-2017

Is it the LED's that you're not happy with? They look quite good in the picture albeit a bit dark

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 13:th-Nov-2017

Yeah I'm not happy with how they sit on the bumper & that they are black.

Would like to get ones that will sit a little more flush & mask them up to get them in vauxhall silver lake finish.

Don't worry, there is a further 72W of LED lighting getting fitted

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - sparkyscfc74 - 13:th-Nov-2017

Would these be any good?
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-18mm-LED-DRL-Daytime-Running-Spotlight-Free-UK-Post-Car-Van-Bike-Camper/182596969344

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 13:th-Nov-2017

Thank you for looking. Look very similar to what I have used already, the problem I have i the amount of the body that protrudes from the flange forwards.

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 17:th-Nov-2017

After a week of manic work & dark nights, I have tomorrow to do my power lines.

Delivering 12V courtesy light power to all 4 doors & all 4 footwells, as well as ambient light to the rear doors for the door pocket lights and while I am at it, the standard DPF hack getting installed.

Then it is refit time. I currently have almost every panel removed, so it will be nice (and quiet!!) to get them back into place again. It is quite a long list to work with when looking after two kids and a dog at the same time so here goes!

Anyones advice: grab the courtesy light from behind glove box by playing hunt the wire or from roof?

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - sparkyscfc74 - 17:th-Nov-2017

I’m sure everyone will have their own opinions, but I took mine from the roof lights and will do the same when I do the rear footwell lights. I think I’ve read that some people have struggled to access the live feed from loom above the fusebox and have had to remove that too. I’ve got a length of liner cable from my welding gun that’s great for feeding cables through because it’s strong but flexible

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 18:th-Nov-2017

Oooft today has been a bugger!

Removing the A pillar was being a PITA so I went for the behind the fuse box approach. Did that relatively easy, found it simpler to snip & run single flex out further for more room.

Wishing I had bought some Waco quick clips at this point, as I wanted to splice for door, footwell light, drivers side & rear.

Got to the door plug for puddle lights, everything sorted, crimped, went to insert and whilst my existing male & female crimps seem the right size, something just is not fitting so had to abandon ship.

At this point, I'm needing the car functioning and trimmed up properly for the next few weeks, so stuff had to start getting out back.

I have a lot to do tomorrow so I might just finish tidying up and give the car a clean. I might finish the front footwell lights...

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 19:th-Nov-2017

Warning: all photos seem to hate being in the right orientation!

Well, the door cards are back on, the ambient light altered to green:

I'm done, you might say? All the stock internals changed, I might think? Then NNNNOOOOOO that's me just spotted this:

So that's for another day!

Onwards and upwards, i also added some 12V led (well, normal LED with a resistor added) with flanges into the door pockets by drilling a small hole & putting into place - it was wired into the existing ambient.

The pocket:

The LED:

Whilst I haven't got the puddle lights going yet, I do have the front footwells done

That'll be me for the next few weeks, travelling ahoy with work, a trip to lapland with the kids and Christmas to boot. Ok, maybe rear footwells and those pesky puddle lights might squeeze in!

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - sparkyscfc74 - 19:th-Nov-2017

Looking good

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 19:th-Nov-2017

Cheers mate. Keeping the goggles peeled for some peddles to tidy up that foot well look.

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - Rusty2009 - 20:th-Nov-2017

Looking good mate.

Chap on the facebook page sell's the pedals covers Michael Dolan.

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - zdravo - 1:st-Dec-2017

I like the Eagle eyes in rear bumper.
As factory reverse light is not of any use.
So, maybe I put some of them on my astra.
I already have them.
Can you send me a picture how you wired them?

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 1:st-Dec-2017

Hiya,

I'm currently away on business so it will be a while before I can get a photo (I need to remove the bumper again anyway to refit a new camera).

In a nutshell though, I simply soldered them in parallel to each other, then the final one terminated in a waterproof connector. I ran a power supply from the reverse light to the male side of the connector & need to introduce a switch in the roof console to master - control them separately.

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - zdravo - 2:nd-Dec-2017

OK, thank you.
Or to make it simplier.
To buy some led license plate LED light with a bunch of lumens

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - rlievens - 4:th-Dec-2017

zdravo Wrote:OK, thank you.
Or to make it simplier.
To buy some led license plate LED light with a bunch of lumens

My thought exactly
7,5 euro from aliexpress and they light up the whole driveway. Doesn't help very much looking through the back window but they do help alot looking through the side mirrors as they light up the ground nicely!

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - zdravo - 4:th-Dec-2017

As I got info from people who tried them from chinese manufacturers.
They work abit the quality is questionable and the blown bulb light comes on.

But, in germany there are few producers which made them.
One or them is R led which is a bit pricey around 50€ is set of two lights with shipping.

I just ordered one from other producer.
When I get it I will try it and poat some pictures

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - rlievens - 6:th-Dec-2017

Don't have any problems yet with mine. The check lightbulb message came on maybe 3 times since I installed it, right when I start the car and it dissapear within 1 second. Warning never stayed. Actually received a 2nd set this week which I will install in the boot to change standard boot light. Also gives me a spare one in case one of them fails. So even if I blow through 5 sets of these lights they still wouldn't cost me 50€ Post some pictures maybe we can compare the cheap vs the expensive ones.

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 29:th-Apr-2018

Thought I would give an update folks, it's been a while.

Work and family wise, been through the wars the last few months with the most recent being my gorgeous puppy turning 1 year old and being treated to a rather large vets bill to get a large lump removed from his chest. Tests have come back negative to cancer thankfully. Now to get two more lumps removed...

So adapting the car has been... Well non existent. Add to that, it has started to make a lovely squealing noise. Runs fine for a number of miles then it's like once it heats up in one of the wheels, a noisy squeal. It developed the same day as I hit an enormous pot hole, the kind where you stop immediately for photos and to check you haven't just cracked a wheel.

Started to dismantle, clean and reassemble the brakes today, gone one wheel done and then had to stop for more family misery, I mean happiness.

Directly proportional to the time I have available, it saddens me that I will need to just take the girl to a garage and have them to the strip down & clean ups for me this week.

In the coming months though I hope to be getting back on track with making my changes!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - Rusty2009 - 30:th-Apr-2018

I hope things get better soon, Hopefully it's good news with the other 2 lumps too.

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - rlievens - 2:nd-May-2018

Rough times. Take care man!

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - sparkyscfc74 - 2:nd-May-2018

Feel for you mate, I love my dog as more than my car

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 2:nd-May-2018

And that's saying something!

Thanks all for your messages of support!

The boy is doing well, being a cheeky git and his wounds healing

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - sparkyscfc74 - 2:nd-May-2018

(2:nd-May-2018, 18:15:57)umognog Wrote: And that's saying something!

Thanks all for your messages of support!

The boy is doing well, being a cheeky git and his wounds healing

My missus would argue I love my dog more than her

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 2:nd-May-2018

My missus knows I love the dog more than her

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 7:th-May-2018

Thar she be squeeling!

Needing to take the broom broom to a broom doctor.

After traveling for about 20 minutes, a squeeling starts which stops when braking.

It all began after hitting a pretty damn bad pothole, so my suspicion is brake pad(s) shifted ever so slightly & not very well greased on the lugs so stuck.

Either way, time is not my friend right now, so putting her in.

It has made me look at the calipers so much though and get the desire to paint them.

Not sure to go silver to match the car, or blue/green to match the led colour change!

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - sparkyscfc74 - 8:th-May-2018

(7:th-May-2018, 07:20:12)umognog Wrote: Thar she be squeeling!

Needing to take the broom broom to a broom doctor.

After traveling for about 20 minutes, a squeeling starts which stops when braking.

It all began after hitting a pretty damn bad pothole, so my suspicion is brake pad(s) shifted ever so slightly & not very well greased on the lugs so stuck.

Either way, time is not my friend right now, so putting her in.

It has made me look at the calipers so much though and get the desire to paint them.

Not sure to go silver to match the car, or blue/green to match the led colour change!

Hope it’s not serious, for the callipers I think blue would be better? Can’t wait to paint mine red but I’ve got to buy a jack and axle stands as well as the paint!!!

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 8:th-May-2018

Thanks, I'm hoping so too! The type of squeeling + the fact it takes a few miles for it to heat up and start making it are all pointing to something that hopefully a full tear down & clean up & re-lube will help out with.

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - Rusty2009 - 10:th-May-2018

Glad the dog is doing well.

I found it was due to rear pads getting lower although loads of meat left on them I replaced them for yellow stuff pads and the issue was gone (replaced the discs at same time for dimpled & grooved).

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 10:th-May-2018

Cheers rusty, the (darn) dog ate the service history (true story) and I know **some** pads were replaced about 7k miles ago, just not sure which - certainly looked ok, but as you say, might be enough for this darn noise.

Going to the car doctor Friday for them to tear down & clean up, replace any pads if needed at the same time. One of those annoying moments, would happily do pads myself but life is not permitting the time right now!

Will keep everyone posted though

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 11:th-May-2018

Well, £35 for all 4 to be stripped, cleaned, greased and built back up.

The guy said the nearside rear disc had a blue hue from heated up and that the pads were pretty tough stuck in there.

Going to give it a bit, but they are able to order in yellow stuff + discs for a reasonable price so I may have them all done soon enough anyway.

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - Rusty2009 - 14:th-May-2018

Always worth ringing your local EBC supplier if your changing all 4 they may well do you a discount.

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 20:th-May-2018

(14:th-May-2018, 07:00:42)Rusty2009 Wrote: Always worth ringing your local EBC supplier if your changing all 4 they may well do you a discount.

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/
Just noticed this rusty, thanks for the heads up.

This is a new guy I used (I have an MOT/fitting place, but you would never ever use it for diagnosis of any problems) and I have a feeling I will switch all business to him.

He liked the fact I asked for yellow stuff and runs them himself on his own cars and he priced up a full front + rear pads & discs at £170 + vat + labour so I'm looking £250 all in which I was very happy at.

Onwards with home upgrades though and today's job will be very very simple: boot storage.

As I use the rear for the beautiful pooch, I have things like poop bags, balls, frisbees, launchers, gloves, sanitizer and so on and storage isn't exactly neat and tidy, can roll around etc.

I decided I wanted something I could remove in a cinch, make secure easily and maximised space without taking away from the dog too much.

I give you: The 22L really useful box

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/really-useful-clear-wrapping-paper-box-22-litres/571746-1000

Bought two of these, stacked one on top of the other & glued the lid of the bottom RUB to the bottom of the upper RUB.

I'll be drilling through the lower RUB & into the wheel well cover & using simple wing nuts to secure it in place.

This gives me significant storage that is quick to remove and/or pivot out the way. I'll be putting my ratchets & less commonly used items in the lower one, dog toys in The upper one.

The roof bars are stowed nicely hidden way down the back so between them and the ratchets I'm always carrying a way to get the kids home should I need the back seats for shopping or something.

Pics to follow of the RUB fitting later today once they are in.

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 20:th-May-2018

So, a bit of RUB glueing & then a trip to the hardware store, I realised a much more flexible solution, that will allow me to quickly move/remove/reorientate/change size of the box(es) I put in the rear.

Bungee cords!!

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I also happen to have a cargo net under the boot liner, which simply rolls up to the side, whatever is put in and secured.

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - sparkyscfc74 - 20:th-May-2018

(20:th-May-2018, 18:54:52)umognog Wrote: So, a bit of RUB glueing & then a trip to the hardware store, I realised a much more flexible solution, that will allow me to quickly move/remove/reorientate/change size of the box(es) I put in the rear.

Bungee cords!!

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I also happen to have a cargo net under the boot liner, which simply rolls up to the side, whatever is put in and secured.

Wow, I bet your dog loves going in your boot
I’m going to get one of these -
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Boot-Organiser-Grey-Large-Velcro-Carpet-Storage-Bag-Tools-Car-Boot-Tidy/292568580207?epid=20008809290&hash=item441e72406f
For jump leads and de-icer and scraper (winter of course)

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 20:th-May-2018

Thanks - it took him long enough to learn that the car usually means park, beach, woods, fun!

I've used one of those boot organisation things before but was never happy with them losing shape or coming loose from their fixtures.

He is also an inquisitive bugger, so lids over velcro

Something I forgot to add:

This nicely covers the socket area, as I have usb rechargeable collars, torches etc. for the darker nights. I kept getting bothered by the retainer for that spot coming loose and everything rolling around him

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - rlievens - 22:nd-May-2018

Too bad I don't have that space in my boot!
We're going to have a puppy Golden Retriever in August. But I have the hatchback so it's not ideal but it will have to do.
I think he will still fit when he's big, but no such room for those containers
I actually even bought the Travall Dog Guard, very easy to install!

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 22:nd-May-2018

(22:nd-May-2018, 09:00:49)rlievens Wrote: Too bad I don't have that space in my boot!
We're going to have a puppy Golden Retriever in August. But I have the hatchback so it's not ideal but it will have to do.
My boy is a Goldie too, hovers about the 31kg mark so on the slightly smaller side for a male.

He'd go in a hatch quite readily, what you will find is there will be a space at the back, behind the seats - because of the gradient, mines never tried to get into that space, hence the umbrellas etc.

I'll see if he will pose for a photo tonight, been a while since I added one of the dog and car

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 31:st-May-2018

Still no photo of the dog!

However, decided to get an Aircon recharge done as it was crapped out, pressure test found leak however the guy couldn't tell where from (a dye test wasn't part of the job)

So looking to fixing this now.

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - rlievens - 31:st-May-2018

umognog Wrote:
rlievens Wrote:Too bad I don't have that space in my boot!
My boy is a Goldie too, hovers about the 31kg mark so on the slightly smaller side for a male.

He'd go in a hatch quite readily, what you will find is there will be a space at the back, behind the seats - because of the gradient, mines never tried to get into that space, hence the umbrellas etc.

I'll see if he will pose for a photo tonight, been a while since I added one of the dog and car

Oh I missed your reply there.
Sure I would love a picture, and I know you have a goldie i've remembered from when you opened your thread here
31 kilo, yes that's not too big indeed. Our pup's mother and father aren't large either so we're expecting a smaller dog as well. But he still has to be born, in about 1-2 weeks
But when the dog lies down, it will take up the space close behind the seats as well, right? Certainly in my hatchback.

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 31:st-May-2018

Yeah, they can always turn a bum or put their head down there when laying down

Friend of mines used to out her Springer/lab cross in the back of her GTC without an issue.

Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - umognog - 2:nd-Jun-2018

Here we go.

Went out to a local country park today, this is him after swimming in the old reservoir, chasing squirrels & being a good dog!

And this is him after getting home!!!!!

He is well and truly broken!

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - Rusty2009 - 3:rd-Jun-2018

Lovely dog mate.

RE: Umognog's Astra Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi SE - rlievens - 4:th-Jun-2018

Very good looking Golden you have there. Nice coulours, the same type we are looking for.
We are impatiently waiting for news from the breeders, I think she will give birth end of this week.

Height wise, will the dog have more headroom in the hatchback with the boot floor dropped all the way down?
On the other hand, the tourer's top doesn't drop as much at the boot as the hatchback one...