Switch to desktop version  
'Service vehicle soon' message - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: 'Service vehicle soon' message (/showthread.php?tid=1910)

'Service vehicle soon' message - grahamfromoldham - 30:th-Nov-2015

For a week or two each time I start the car, I am getting a message which reads 'Service vehicle soon'. Does anyone have any experience and is this telling me it is producing a fault code somewhere (as this is what I suspect) ? If so, does anyone have a fault code reader in the Cheshire area that may be able to offer some help and advice? Thanks, Graham in Winsford.

RE: 'Service vehicle soon' message - Rusty2009 - 30:th-Nov-2015

Yes it could well be a fault. I would offer to plug it on for you but am too far away.

RE: 'Service vehicle soon' message - grahamfromoldham - 30:th-Nov-2015

Thanks for the reply Rusty. Yup, Bournemouth is a bit far for me lol

'Service vehicle soon' message - Lewis6317 - 30:th-Nov-2015

I get that message, i noticed it when my oil like had 5% then once its on 0% it shows up every time you start car etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: 'Service vehicle soon' message - Steve64 - 1:st-Dec-2015

Hi
Have you tried resetting the oil life indicator to see if the warning goes. Then get the oil and filter changed and reset it again

'Service vehicle soon' message - Lewis6317 - 1:st-Dec-2015

Yes it would but then it dont solve the issue about having a service and having oil change

RE: 'Service vehicle soon' message - grahamfromoldham - 6:th-Dec-2015

Tried the above but no luck, thanks for the suggestions guys

RE: 'Service vehicle soon' message - tucpal - 6:th-Dec-2015

its really a random fault message the dealers will pull the fault code up for you

RE: 'Service vehicle soon' message - DaPa - 9:th-Jan-2016

(6:th-Dec-2015, 23:08:11)tucpal Wrote: its really a random fault message the dealers will pull the fault code up for you

I have experienced this message once, is there a underlying problem?

ttt  

RE: 'Service vehicle soon' message - nidzo - 9:th-Jan-2016

On diesel it can be a glow plug. On my 1.7 cdti this message was only on first (cold) start, when it warms up there is no message because glow plugs are not used.
Locate glow plugs and test each with multimeter (ohms). Resistance shuld be low (0.9-1.3), if its 10+ or 0.0 then it has to be replaced!
Try first to warm it up, stop engine, remove the key, put the key and start it up. If message is missing then it is glow plug 100%

(9:th-Jan-2016, 21:00:18)nidzo Wrote: On diesel it can be a glow plug. On my 1.7 cdti this message was only on first (cold) start, when it warms up there is no message because glow plugs are not used.
Locate glow plugs and test each with multimeter (ohms). Resistance shuld be low (0.9-1.3), if its 10+ or 0.0 then it has to be replaced!
Try first to warm it up, stop engine, remove the key, put the key and start it up. If message is missing then it is glow plug 100%

My car is a Petrol 1.6 16V Auto

'Service vehicle soon' message - Tonto - 9:th-Jan-2016

It's a generic message to tell you there's a fault somewhere. I got myself a obd2 code reader that I keep in car after I got this message on my 2.0cdti which was to tell me the egr valve was clogged with carbon and needed cleaning asap as it made car go into limp mode to protect engine.

Where are you based? You really need the code checked asap.

(9:th-Jan-2016, 21:22:12)Tonto Wrote: It's a generic message to tell you there's a fault somewhere. I got myself a obd2 code reader that I keep in car after I got this message on my 2.0cdti which was to tell me the egr valve was clogged with carbon and needed cleaning asap as it made car go into limp mode to protect engine.

Where are you based? You really need the code checked asap.

I'm based in South Wales.

The message as appeared just the once and not on a regular occurrence.

'Service vehicle soon' message - Tonto - 9:th-Jan-2016

I'd still advise to get the codes checked just to be safe. The codes should be saved from when the service message popped up!

RE: 'Service vehicle soon' message - grahamfromoldham - 10:th-Jan-2016

(9:th-Jan-2016, 21:30:06)Tonto Wrote: I'd still advise to get the codes checked just to be safe. The codes should be saved from when the service message popped up!

I'm in Winsford, Cheshire. Thanks for the suggestions!

RE: 'Service vehicle soon' message - caretaker - 25:th-Sep-2017

Hi All,
I just had a message on my vehicle, Vauxhall Astra 1.7cdti elite, 5 door, A17DTR engine, 61Reg. It does not have the Start and Stop.

It shows "Service Vehicle Soon" it has the car symbol and spanner in the middle illuminated in yellow.

It disappears when i press the reset button, but it comes on ,when ever i start the car. it does not come when i am driving the car, as i have already reset the sign Service Vehicle Soon.

I had breakdown recovery and called them out, as it was just a local recovery guy and he said nothing to worry about, as you need to reset it from the ECU ,as it is a message to say you need your car servicing, as it is now 37,700. I told i had my car serviced when it was around 34,000 miles. But he insisted there is No fault he put his OBD reader and from his mobile screen , there was no faults reading all clear. He told me you will have to take it to the garage and reset the Ecu to tell the ECU the car has been serviced.

So this is the reason i posted this, as reading about the "Service Vehicle Soon" i was understanding there is a fault and from the recovery guy OBD reading it was showing NO FAULTS. I am bit confused

I would appreciated your guys advice.

I dont have problem with the car even though this signs lights up, as it is driving as normal.

'Service vehicle soon' message - Rusty2009 - 25:th-Sep-2017

Most likely he had a one fits all scanned most of which are useless.

There is a fault somewhere.

I’d like to know where he’s getting resetting the ECU from.

Where are you based?

RE: 'Service vehicle soon' message - Big Dave2 - 26:th-Sep-2017

(25:th-Sep-2017, 13:10:44)caretaker Wrote: I had breakdown recovery and called them out, as it was just a local recovery guy and he said nothing to worry about, as you need to reset it from the ECU ,as it is a message to say you need your car servicing

He's talking out of his ass. The SVS message is indicating a fault. It's a misleading message and one that often gets confused with it being a service reminder light.

Chances are, being as your car is a diesel, it's a faulty glowplug, but best to get the fault codes read with the proper equipment.