Switch to desktop version  
Number plates - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Retrofit Research (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Number plates (/showthread.php?tid=1491)

Pages: 1 2

Number plates - dutton84 - 12:th-Apr-2015

Anyone bought plates online? I've heard theses do good plates, Legal too http://www.demonplates.com

My screws haven't got the caps on so gone all rusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number plates - sheppy1 - 12:th-Apr-2015

I've actually been looking for a new one myself! My front plate is cracked.

Never bought one online myself but I came across an eBay seller who does them for £7 and he's got a good reputation. I was going to buy it from there myself...he is called "topcityplates" if you want to check out what he has.

I'll have a look on that site you linked too aswell

Edit: the site you found does look good thoigh, lots of options if you want something a little different to basic plates

Yeah mine look a little bit tatty. Eden have just whacked some screws straight in without putting the little caps on.

They've put them in a weird place too. You'd need the cap to be orange and black to not disfigure the k. Maybe I'm just to fussy. Ha.

I'd prefer to stick the back one on with some pads. Can't do that with the front though because the front is slightly curved

Just checked topcityplates. Tempting at the price. The place I posted is quite expensive £37.58.
Because I'm such a gentleman, I'll let you buy the topcityplates ones 1st then you can let me know if they're alright

(12:th-Apr-2015, 09:45:14)dutton84 Wrote: Yeah mine look a little bit tatty. Eden have just whacked some screws straight in without putting the little caps on.

They've put them in a weird place too. You'd need the cap to be orange and black to not disfigure the k. Maybe I'm just to fussy. Ha.

I'd prefer to stick the back one on with some pads. Can't do that with the front though because the front is slightly curved

Just checked topcityplates. Tempting at the price. The place I posted is quite expensive £37.58.
Because I'm such a gentleman, I'll let you buy the topcityplates ones 1st then you can let me know if they're alright

Oh yeah! Is an odd place where they have put them isn't it...well vauxhall didn't put any caps on mine either so mine have gone rusty too :-/.

Haha you're the best...Thanks! I'm used to bring the guinea pig anyway :P. Won't be able to afford them this week though, so not sure if you wanna go ahead and order them first.

Are you looking to buy ones different to the standard ones then? E.g. 3D lettering?

Good idea with the sticky pads for the rear plates, I was just going to drill new holes into the plates when I get them and put them on as my current ones are

RE: Number plates - Lewis6317 - 12:th-Apr-2015

should get pressed plates

Just searched those and they do look good! Like American plates...I kinda like the ones where the lettering is done I'm carbon fibre, anyone had those done?

Here is a listing for a pair of pressed metal plates for £20! Not bad if you ask me

These stick on though so not sure if they would work well with the curved front bumper

RE: Number plates - tucpal - 12:th-Apr-2015

i got my plates from eBay they were around £25 posted and i picked the design and border and are vxoc logo
and they are top quality.

i got them from here and there very good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUALITY-CUSTOM-CAR-NUMBER-PLATES-AND-SHOW-PLATES-/271617196982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f3da583b6

Very good price considering you've customised the whole thing then! I think id just go for the metal pressed ones after seeing them though...or maybe even the carbon fibre effect ones. Only problem is, as @dutton84 pointed out, the front ones wouldn't be able to stick on as it's curved

I'm unsure what to get now. Ha. Tucpal's ones from eBay look alright.

Think Stevie Wonder put my front plate on. It doesn't sit straight in the gap also definitely need to put the fixings near the edge because they stick out

Also read on another forum that you can bend the plastic plates with a hairdryer then wedge it somewhere over night so it stays that shape then you can stick them on.

RE: Number plates - Jj0063 - 12:th-Apr-2015

I've been using the £20 pressed plates for 3 years, look much better, had no issues with the law or MOT. ( the law changed a couple of years ago so as long as they are reflective they are legal)

i used some sticky pads to hold the ends of the plate down works perfect

(12:th-Apr-2015, 14:25:52)Jj0063 Wrote: I've been using the £20 pressed plates for 3 years, look much better, had no issues with the law or MOT. ( the law changed a couple of years ago so as long as they are reflective they are legal)

How do you go about sticking them on then mate?

sheppy1
(12:th-Apr-2015, 14:25:52)Jj0063 Wrote: I've been using the £20 pressed plates for 3 years, look much better, had no issues with the law or MOT. ( the law changed a couple of years ago so as long as they are reflective they are legal)

How do you go about sticking them on then mate?

Butyl tape

Even Halfords number plate tape works fine though in all honesty.

Is it this stuff? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221533973105

Hmmmm wouldn't have thought something like that would be strong enough to keep those metal license plates on tbh

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171327551327

Is what I've used. I've got a roll of halfords plate tape which was less than a fiver on trade.

Alternatively use plate holders, but tape is plenty strong enough! Il find a pic of my old J with holders for reference.

On my last J I had last year

RE: Number plates - WhelanUK - 12:th-Apr-2015

Did the front plate not stick out as the holders would have been straight.

RE: Number plates - sheppy1 - 12:th-Apr-2015

That does look really good tbh! Even with the plate holders...but yeah, would be good to know if it stuck out as @wheelanuk said.

Also are those metal plates or just 3D lettering plastic ones?

Edit: Found some tape similar to the stuff posted above on Amazon, has very good reviews and is £5 a roll. People say it even stick the sides to the bumper where it curves too and it doesn't budge

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Double-Automotive-Number-Plates/dp/B009IQCJKG/ref=lp_303709031_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1428865741&sr=1-1

(12:th-Apr-2015, 19:42:53)WhelanUK Wrote: Did the front plate not stick out as the holders would have been straight.

No, the holders have loads of mounting options & as the bumper is curved it's best to put 1 screw in the top left and top right of the holder.

They are metal pressed plates from eBay, £18 odd. 

Il be fitting them on this Astra with just tape. Good thing about metal ones is you can carefully bend them to the shape of the bumper anyway.

Here's a set of metal pressed screwed on my BMW I just swapped for the Astra.

Looks good! Tape does seem like a good option for with metal plates then if you can bend to shape. I worry about them falling off on the motorway lol

That tape on Amazon looks good sheppy. Read the review about the front being curved and it still holding in place.

they look good they do

(12:th-Apr-2015, 22:06:27)dutton84 Wrote: That tape on Amazon looks good sheppy. Read the review about the front being curved and it still holding in place.

Yeah seems spot on doesn't it just the kinda stuff we need isn't it. Well I know I'll be buying some of that with a pair of metal plates when I get a bit of spare cash . Will have to let us know how you get on if you decide to go down this route too

Number plates - dutton84 - 13:th-Apr-2015

Yeah will do. I might just pop to the garage near me and get some done. They did them for my 206 and I'm sure they where only £20ish

I'm definitely getting some of that tape though. I'll let you know what it's like.

Number plates - sheppy1 - 13:th-Apr-2015

Bargain that! I'll be going down the ebay route myself but may not have the money for a few months.

Ill be getting that same tape so will be good to hear your thoughts on it

RE: Number plates - Jj0063 - 13:th-Apr-2015

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Metal-Aluminium-Number-Plates-Pressed-100-Road-Legal-Free-Fitting-Kit-/251663535494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a9850cd86

Doesn't get much cheaper than that! Especially for pressed.

Number plates - dutton84 - 13:th-Apr-2015

Right I've decided on this tape http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181386565440

Was going to get the tape on Amazon but it came to £8 with postage. I'll let you know what this is like.

A lot of people say no more nails tape is good too. But was worried about it being to thin. Just like normal tape ie not foam tape.

RE: Number plates - tucpal - 14:th-Apr-2015

that should work

Number plates - sheppy1 - 14:th-Apr-2015

Yeah looks good enough to me! i forgot that not everyone has amazon prime, only £5 with next day delivery for the one I linked too for me.

Sure you'll see the same results though and looking forward to seeing how you get on

Number plates - dutton84 - 18:th-Apr-2015

Number plates are on. Went with this tape in the end

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=400329499771

They other tape I ordered was coming from Bulgaria and couldn't be bothered to wait

Back

Front.... I went a bit crazy with the foam tape at the ends because of the curve

Tape seems really good. Holding the ends down on the front plate really good

Number plates - sheppy1 - 18:th-Apr-2015

Looks good! Thought you were going with the metal plates though? Or am I just confused? Ha. Glad it stuck on well though

Number plates - dutton84 - 18:th-Apr-2015

Nah not to keen on them and might be slightly harder to stick them.

Not happy with the boarder though didn't ask for one either. Couldn't be arsed moaning about it though.

RE: Number plates - tucpal - 19:th-Apr-2015

looks good mate much better than the ones the dealer use

Number plates - sheppy1 - 19:th-Apr-2015

Going for those metal ones myself when I get paid, think they look the Shiz ha

Number plates - dutton84 - 19:th-Apr-2015

Saying that there's a BMW over the road from me with pressed plates. They've got the GB on too. Don't think I've seen that with pressed plates

Looks nice.

Just took a picture it's in a holder. Is it against the rules to upload it with it not being my car??

Number plates - DE5IRED - 19:th-Apr-2015

Love pressed plates even if it's more a vdub thing they still look the dogs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Number plates - Rusty2009 - 19:th-Apr-2015

(19:th-Apr-2015, 10:46:19)dutton84 Wrote: Saying that there's a BMW over the road from me with pressed plates. They've got the GB on too. Don't think I've seen that with pressed plates

Looks nice.

Just took a picture it's in a holder. Is it against the rules to upload it with it not being my car??

Just blank some of the plate out mate.

Is that a holder or is it part of the plate

That's a holder for sure

Looks like one but if you zoom in it looks like the black is part of the plate, can't see any gab. Unless it sits in that holder snug. Prob wrong.

Me that is.

It's deffo a Holder I have same here with Vauxhall on it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Black-Effect-Car-Number-Plate-Holder-Surround-Set-of-2-/321685276165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae5efc605

Cool. So they set proper snug inside then.

Yes mate, I've not used mine as It sticks out on the front too much for my liking.

RE: Number plates - WhelanUK - 19:th-Apr-2015

I've got the same rusty. Want the holders fitted but sticks out too much. You think the tape above would work on the holders?

It might do mate but not tried wonder if heating it would work as you could then shape it to the curve.

Was debating that or weighing it down overnight. Will get round to giving it a go at some point

I've got to have my bumper off this month so may try moulding it then.

How come?

Number plates - Rusty2009 - 19:th-Apr-2015

Gonna paint the grill the same colour as my wheels, so while its off the road makes sense to do it.

What are the holders made out of?