VXOC Astra-J/GTC
Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Members car's progress threads (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 (/showthread.php?tid=1275)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 1:st-Feb-2016

Indeed! And the lock covers came too! I'll install later aswell and get pics

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Fit the cable and it works fine! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] coveted the front sensor with my finger and shone a torch at the mirror and it started to dim! Whoooop! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Also fit the door catch covers... Here's a photo of a catch with and without the cover

[Image: 8f23ae8f9e056db2049334098541e710.jpg]

And then totally covered

[Image: b7da52c1985a893a0fc5708f3c18dfad.jpg]

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - tucpal - 1:st-Feb-2016

They look good

Cheers mate [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] you got the black ones? Just tidies it up a bit doesn't it

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Doraemon02 - 1:st-Feb-2016

Where did you bought the covers? Can you post the link please?

(1:st-Feb-2016, 15:15:10)Doraemon02 Wrote: Where did you bought the covers? Can you post the link please?
Sure! They have them in loads of colours too

ABS Chrome and color Door lock cover protecting Anti-corrosive for Chevrolet cruze Opel Mokka 2013-2015 ASTRA J 2012 Insignia
http://s.aliexpress.com/MFzQJnIB
(from AliExpress Android)

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Doraemon02 - 1:st-Feb-2016

(1:st-Feb-2016, 15:19:41)sheppy1 Wrote:
(1:st-Feb-2016, 15:15:10)Doraemon02 Wrote: Where did you bought the covers? Can you post the link please?
Sure! They have them in loads of colours too

ABS Chrome and color Door lock cover protecting Anti-corrosive for Chevrolet cruze Opel Mokka 2013-2015 ASTRA J 2012 Insignia
http://s.aliexpress.com/MFzQJnIB
(from AliExpress Android)

Thanks mate!

Ordered

Haha NP at all! Love Aliexepress...get all sorts of cool and cheap stuff Wink

Hmmmm according to the manufacturer site this head unit dual boots both androud and windows CE...I have no idea why I'd ever want to swap between the two but hey ho! Hahaha

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - WhelanUK - 1:st-Feb-2016

(1:st-Feb-2016, 15:35:27)sheppy1 Wrote: Haha NP at all! Love Aliexepress...get all sorts of cool and cheap stuff Wink

Hmmmm according to the manufacturer site this head unit dual boots both androud and windows CE...I have no idea why I'd ever want to swap between the two but hey ho! Hahaha

Stop rubbing it in haha

You will have to get loads of pictures while installing, I'm then hoping @Rusty2009 will be able to figure out a way to get DAB sorted.

Hahaha sorry mate! i just keep reading the spec sheet and website and finding loads of cool stuff!

Yeahhh not sure about that! As I say the bloke on the phone said that most of them do support DAB but just need an extra module which hasn't been released for the M model yet...not sure if it would play nice with factory DAB or if there would also be cables missing etc.

i'm still unsure about the factory AUX and USB yanno...have no idea how I would go about connecting them to the new head unit...I mean where do the factory options even plug into...the current head unit...?

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Feb-2016

Your most likely find it can switch due to sat nav as some use CE and others android.

@Sheppy1 bookmark this as you will need it
http://fixmygps.info/forum/index.php

@rusty2009 you trying to tell me the GPS on this unit won't work right out of the box? lol

It will but the maps may be well of date.

Okay cool! Smile that's something i was gonna ask about...two things actually:

1. Is it an app that provides the satnav or like a full built in system hence the GPS card slot?

2. Does the satnav need an internet connection (3g etc.) to work or just the GPS cable?

I'll just have to ask again in a few months.

Looking at the pic it can use apps (like WAZE which is a good one).

Or an SD card in the slot.

If using an app it my well need 3/4g internet.

Yep I adore Waze! So useful but I was just thinking that if for some reason tethering to my phone for shared internet get's tedious if I'd still be able to use some sort of satnav without internet.

I'm terrified to see what will and won't work and what I'm gonna lose...If all goes tits up...least it's something to do eh :P

My grand plan for this unit if anyone was wondering and want's it summed up is:

- Get it installed and see if I can wire up the factory AUX and USB connectors I already have into the new system
- Get factory BT module working with it...if not, see how bad the built in one is
- Find a nice place for the GPS module to live
- Tether my phone to it so the unit can have internet...if this get's annoying then i'm gonna look into the 3G dongle method

End result for me would be good working BT with clear calls and to download all the apps onto it which I have on my phone (Spotify - music. Audible - audio books and iFly - DAB app I've been using which is good). With all those I'd be happy Smile

they won't work with factory bluetooth and dab usb it has its own doesn't it

@rusty2009 said he got it working I think...

BT that is

There are some really good TV Streaming apps too on play store. Should be a decent unit of can get everything working.

Yeah agree mate, tonnes of apps that can add so much to the unit! As I say the DAB app I use is brilliant and works amazingly well... Just needs Internet is all.

As I have 10gb data though on my phone, if tethering works fine then I won't have an issue... Others can use dongles etc too if they don't wanna tether [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Feb-2016

(1:st-Feb-2016, 18:42:51)tucpal Wrote: they won't work with factory bluetooth and dab usb it has its own doesn't it

On the GEN1&2 units it factory Bluetooth and dab could over ride the built in stuff.

(1:st-Feb-2016, 18:47:19)sheppy1 Wrote: @rusty2009 said he got it working I think...

BT that is

I never had factory BT or DAB but was told it was only 2 wires needed to be changed for factory BT DAB to work on GEN1&2.

What wire I have no idea but surely it could be worked out but these aren't GEN1 or 2 units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well... I'll be the guinea pig [WINKING FACE] I may have to pester you chaps for a bit of help but I'm sure we can get it working and I'll do tutorials, pics etc. To help others [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Will the factory controls still show stuff on the screen like the blowers being on etc?

(1:st-Feb-2016, 20:26:30)sheppy1 Wrote: Will the factory controls still show stuff on the screen like the blowers being on etc?

You'll know when you get it fitted haha

(1:st-Feb-2016, 20:31:26)WhelanUK Wrote:
(1:st-Feb-2016, 20:26:30)sheppy1 Wrote: Will the factory controls still show stuff on the screen like the blowers being on etc?

You'll know when you get it fitted haha
I kinda knew that was gonna be the answer... Hahaha. It's kinda cool not knowing what I'm gonna get and what will work and what won't hahaha

I've emailed back asking what units will work with DAB, which have them already and which can be added with aftermarket module.

Also asked if they knew of any future updates/plans to add it to unit you ordered.

Okay mate, he did tell me on the phone that he doesn't know if or when they will add it to my unit... Just said based off the history of this company they do usually come out with a module that adds it sooner or later... But my model is too new atm he said so he hasn't heard anything

you wont be able to program factory dab and bluetooth as you won't have a cd400 head unit to program it to any more also
just use the ones that come with the unit you are getting it just makes more sense

(1:st-Feb-2016, 21:08:05)tucpal Wrote: you wont be able to program factory dab and bluetooth as you won't have a cd400 head unit to program it to any more also
just use the ones that come with the unit you are getting it just makes more sense
You're probably right... Just really want half decent BT and that's all I care about

On another note...had a drive in the dark with my new (now working as I have the cable) anti dazzle mirror! I'll say one thing...it's keen! Hahaha. I thought it would only activate when someone was properly up your back side blinding you...nope, seems the closer cars get, the dimmer the mirror goes...even when they don't even have dazzling lights ha. Is it supposed to work like that?

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 2:nd-Feb-2016

Gonna be in for a few weeks wait before I can crack on with the android head unit! The guy doesn't have any in his last delivery so has to order one for me from China... Issue is it's their new year atm so there's a delay [PENSIVE FACE]

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - bhalay207 - 2:nd-Feb-2016

Wounded. Nothing like have to part with all that money and have to wait for your gadget!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

(2:nd-Feb-2016, 14:15:21)bhalay207 Wrote: Wounded. Nothing like have to part with all that money and have to wait for your gadget!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
Tell me about it! And if I can't have it now then what's the point... God damn it! Hahahaha

Oh I'm thinking of getting the rear reverse camera too that rusty linked too... It's wireless to the front head unit so only needs power from the reverse wire but I'm only doing it it I can figure out a way to route the power cable from the Reg plate where the camera will be through the grommet where I routed the reverse sensors WITHOUT taking the bumper off

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Rusty2009 - 2:nd-Feb-2016

Pull the trim off inside to access the grommet then put a feeder through out to bumper. Lay under car find feeder and guide it to reg light.

Then tape camera wires to it and pull it back.

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 2:nd-Feb-2016

Awesome idea mate! I just bought some of these for gripping the wire and pulling it through as you said [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

[Image: f86e3944439a45d5c98f12ddf811fa0f.jpg]

Just need info about where to earth those connectors behind the head unit that make up the other part of the reverse camera then I'll buy the camera [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - opelastra - 4:th-Feb-2016

Hi Shppy1, did you get your M072 7inch screen sat nav yet ? also did you find out what 2 wires work the factor bluetooth ?
i am playing on getting the same as you just woundering whats it like
THANKS

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - opelastra - 4:th-Feb-2016

Hi sheppy, did you get your M072 7inch screen sat nav yet ? also did you find out what 2 wires work the factor bluetooth ?
thanks

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 4:th-Feb-2016

(4:th-Feb-2016, 17:58:34)opelastra Wrote: Hi Shppy1, did you get your M072 7inch screen sat nav yet ? also did you find out what 2 wires work the factor bluetooth ?
i am playing on getting the same as you just woundering whats it like
THANKS

Hi There Smile

Nope not yet...It has to be ordered in from China so may be a few weeks yet :(

I've started a research thread here:

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-M072-Android-Head-Unit-Install-Info

Where I have already added loads of info that I have found out or that @rusty2009 has helped me with...As and when I find out more about stuff including getting factory items to work, I will add it to that thread Smile

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 6:th-Feb-2016

Soooo...I've made up the ground wire and have it attached to the crossbar behind the glove box (require to ground the wireless camera receiver eventually lol). And the wireless cameras themselves turned up today...but STILL don't have my head unit yet!!! :( have started on the tutorial though Smile

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Tonto - 6:th-Feb-2016

Can this camera be wired??

Sure can [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I'll find the link to the world version... Just means you'll have to run the video cable from the boot all the way to the head unit...

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Tonto - 6:th-Feb-2016

Yeah but I just don't trust wireless for rear camera haha!

Ha I'm the same... Rusty recommend it so it's his fault if it's rubbish [WINKING FACE]

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Rusty2009 - 6:th-Feb-2016

(6:th-Feb-2016, 18:11:09)sheppy1 Wrote: Ha I'm the same... Rusty recommend it so it's his fault if it's rubbish

Haha I'll take the blame never heard of any problems with wireless TBF, I was thinking of making you job easier.

But I did recommend one that didn't come have the wireless bits worst case your just have to run a cable.

Haha only joking mate [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] but yeah I wouldn't have even bothered with the camera it I had to wire it front to back! Cba with that lol

Yup [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] be reet I'm sure

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Kris - 7:th-Feb-2016

http://i.imgur.com/0IC8Lqv.jpg

Sheppy, my old man has the same trip computer you had. his only shows the current miles. Is he able to get more reading son that small one or does he have to go to a bigger screen? Looks like you had miles left in the tank on your little screen which is what he wants. How can id be done if it can mate?

Also how did you get the larger screen in? was it all new clocks?

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 7:th-Feb-2016

Hey @Kris Smile

Yeah I had a few more options...miles till empty, MPG etc. I had someone do it ASK ME IN PRIVATE who activated all the extra stuff for me for £20. He's based in bradford.

As for the higher level screen I have...Yeah, need a whole new instrument cluster mate! (clocks). I personally got some that hadn't been divorced from the original car so had to go to huge lengths to have mine paired to the car...But if you find some that have been divorced from the car using MDI then you can ask someone like @rusty2009 to pair them up...that's the proper way Smile

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Kris - 7:th-Feb-2016

Ah ok mate I know who done them up bradford way. I was up there a few years ago for an smd conversion,. Its a 12 hour trip though up and back so not worth it lol.

Thanks though mate.

Can @Rusty2009 do it?

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 7:th-Feb-2016

Oh sack that!!! haha...was 2 hours for me and that was just about worth it lol...Best of luck if you try the cluster swap Smile

I'm currently failing massively at pulling the wires through from the outside behind the bumper, through the grommet and into the boot compartment for the camera :( haha