VXOC Astra-J/GTC

Full Version: How to Install aftermarket head unit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: vx.o.c.jpeg]

How to Install aftermarket head unit

1. Make sure you have everything you need.

[Image: 0.JPG]

If you don't know how to remove the factory unit then please see my How-to Remove stereo Head Unit Astra-J.
If you want to change speakers at the same time please see How-to change speakers Astra-J

2. Remove the old unit.

*See note above*

3. The center dash control panel.
*I've outlined the control buttons we will need*

[Image: 1.JPG]

4. Removing the panels.
*For the top two panels all we have to do is pinch the tabs inwards and then pull up (These pull out from the back)*

[Image: 2.JPG]

Like so

[Image: 3.JPG]

5. Remove the heater control panel.
*There are 3 clips as outlined these unclip outwards (Best way is to unclip one at a time and push down on the panel)*

[Image: 4.JPG]

It will come out the front like so.

[Image: 5.JPG]

6. Aftermarket fascia
*Note I had mine painted up*
I used Paul from Dentzaway in Christchurch (For anyone in the Dorset area).

[Image: 6.JPG]

Installing the control panels is the reverse of taking them out.
*Top panels go in from the rear*

[Image: 7.JPG]

Heater control panel goes in from the front

[Image: 8.JPG]

7. The speaker that comes with the connects2 interface.

[Image: 9.JPG]

Install the speaker into the fascia
*I recommend you install it on the passenger side*
put it in from the top to the bottom or vies versa.

[Image: 10.JPG]

The fascia kit you need is one of these.

Titan Grey

Pearl Black

Silver

**The kit has everything you need included just select the correct patch lead.**

8. This step is for vehicles with 4 line dash display.
*The connector at the other end of the speaker will have 3 wires Yellow Green & Black*

[Image: 11.JPG]

*(Cut the Black wire and then insulate it)*
**DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE A 4 LINE DASH DISPLAY**

[Image: 12.JPG]

[Image: 13.JPG]

9. Any extra's you have like TV camera etc run the wire to where ever needed.

*I would recommend you get some wiring loom harness tape if you have a bunch of wires all going the same way this will cut down the work load, keep all your wires together & make it a make cleaner install.*
I ran all mine so they ended up behind the glove box used the A-pillar and roof.
Once I had all the wires in place behind the glove box (How-to remove glovebox) I got out the split conduit *I used 32mm*

[Image: 14.JPG]

[Image: 15.JPG]

10.Place all your cables into the conduit and then feed it round and about here and there and you will end up with this.

[Image: 16.JPG]

[Image: 17.JPG]

[Image: 18.JPG]

11. Before you go feeding all the wires into the head unit space there is one factory wire we need to take away.

*The wire from the stereo control*

[Image: 19.JPG]

you can tuck this away here

[Image: 20.JPG]

12. Then feed all your wires into the head unit space.

[Image: 21.JPG]

13. Connect the connects2 wiring harness to the cars harness

[Image: 22.JPG]

14. Then connect the connects2 wiring harness to the head unit harness

[Image: 23.JPG]

15. if you haven't already connect the connects2 wiring harness and patch lead into the connects2 control box

[Image: 25.JPG]

16. Put the mounting brackets onto the head unit.

[Image: 27.JPG]

17. Put all the connections into your new head unit and then push fit in place

[Image: 30.JPG]

18. Hook the mini speaker up to the connects2 control box
*make sure it all works*

[Image: 31.JPG]

[Image: 32.JPG]

19. You should have only 3 cable left to connect up.
*These connect up to the controls on the fascia*

[Image: 33.JPG]

20. Replace fascia starting at the top.

[Image: 34.JPG]

[Image: 35.JPG]

[Image: 36.JPG]

[Image: 37.JPG]

If you have any excess wire there is nice place to tuck them up out of way behind the glove box

[Image: 38.JPG]

that’s it all done now enjoy your new aftermarket head unit.

[Image: vx.o.c.jpeg]
top wright up rusty well done, Cool
It would seem Connects2 has dropped the old steering wheel control box and moved over to a new system which will display all the settings etc on the head unit rather than the screen

[video=youtube;Gmi71xZhcEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmi71xZhcEA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

http://www.connects2.co.uk/ProductInform...&p=CTUVX01
looks better
Yeah price £159.99 plus the fascia £120.00 plus the aftermarket unit......
Thank you Rusty, followed this how to yesterday and successfully got my head unit fitted

[Image: 560a3d24d3968f6abcfa1bf5739d08b3.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice install mate, looks really good  Doublethumbs
(17:th-Apr-2016, 13:19:06)Darkrain82 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you Rusty, followed this how to yesterday and successfully got my head unit fitted

Nice one mate, looks good. What is the square thing at top right??
(17:th-Apr-2016, 13:19:06)Darkrain82 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you Rusty, followed this how to yesterday and successfully got my head unit fitted

Hi Darkrain82,

I, Recently installed the same head unit you have pictured but my upper display does not turn on but everything else work and I wanted to know if you knew what it might be.

Also does the USB port underneath still work for you as mine no longer does.

Thank you for your time.
Have you done what I suggested about unplugging and re-plugging in checked all the connections?

If it still doesn't work it could be a faulty interface box and the best thing to do is contact connects2 via their support ticket system, who are 100% willing to help and get to the bottom of any problems.

As for the USB did you place a new cable into the back of the USB port and then into the USB lead on the back of the aftermarket headunit? It won't retain the factory fitted USB which is normally wired into the back of the radio or goes off to the USB module behind the cubby hole on the drivers side.
Great write up mate! Cant wait to do mine

Class lookin mate what model pioneer is this?
I have same problem with upper display not working. Speaker that came with facia broke and i used 1 that came with connects2 box. I think i forgot to cut the extra black wire. Could this cause the problem with display?
(2:nd-Sep-2016, 21:14:31)crisse_fin Wrote: [ -> ]I have same problem with upper display not working. Speaker that came with facia broke and i used 1 that came with connects2 box. I think i forgot to cut the extra black wire. Could this cause the problem with display?

Yes cut the black wire.
hi there i am thinking of doing this i have a double din from an old car i know from the past about some vauxhalls not having an ignition feed in the harness how do you get around this and have you got any part numbers for the bits needed
(28:th-Sep-2017, 18:40:55)frankie Wrote: [ -> ]hi there i am thinking of doing this i have a double din from an old car i know from the past about some vauxhalls not having an ignition feed in the harness how do you get around this  and have you got any part numbers for the bits needed

The kit you need is one of these.

Titan Grey

Pearl Black

Silver

The kit has everything you need included just select the correct patch lead.
Can you answer calls and hang up with the steering wheel still ? Or do you lose this and have to use the screen ? - this will be if I connect to the head unit over Bluetooth
Yes you can still answer calls via the steering wheel with the connects2 kit and correct patch lead.
This may sound like a daft question, but where can I get a set of the mounting brackets you have used to secure your new stereo into position?
(5:th-Dec-2017, 19:58:29)Robbo3611 Wrote: [ -> ]This may sound like a daft question, but where can I get a set of the mounting brackets you have used to secure your new stereo into position?

The come supplied in the kit.

Not seen them for sale separate, could be worth you speaking to connects2.
I bought the stereo fascia via that well known auction site but the seller didn't supply the brackets. Sent an email and 2 days later they turned up in the post. Thanks for taking the time to respond though.
Hello. 
Thanks for this tutorial. 
I am interested in finding out if this tutorial applies for CD600 infotainment system also.
Thanks in advance.
The CD600 use's a colour screen IIRC so it would be totally different.

Or should I say the wiring would need to be changed to a CD400 setup.
As I have a cd600 in the garage I can confirm it doesn't work with cd400 wiring. It has to be changed. I am in the process of looking into retrofits on these
I see the fascia and brackets are for sale for £59, whereas the fascia plus all the wiring, connect 2 box etc is 189.
Plus around 150 for a basic double din stereo.
Is this basically the cheapest it can be done for?
Seriously can't believe the fitted Bluetooth only streams through front speakers!!
sometimes there are kits from on the Facebook group.

I have connects2 interface to list up for sell at some point.
Is there something missing off this,as it seems cheaper than elsewhere.
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-...=R40&rt=nc
(14:th-Aug-2018, 10:41:11)Metalhamster Wrote: [ -> ]Is there something missing off this,as it seems cheaper than elsewhere.
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-...=R40&rt=nc

I would check it has the brackets for mounting the radio
Aye, sadly the connects2 kit only works for the monochrome displays.
The color displays do not support this, and will simply not work according to Connects2 support.

However monochrome displays are cheap used, and can be retrofitted
Thanks, so will this work ok, but there won't be anything on the top red LCD display?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...2849168766
Would the matte black kit on dynamic sounds do the same job, its £50 cheaper than the other colours but all the parts look correct, any help appreciated
Hey haggis, I just spotted that too, think that's the one I linked.
Seems a great price.
Is there any wire cutting etc required, or is it all basic enough?
Not that i see on dynamic sound website and the brackets are in the picture, think it's just plug and play

I take that back depends on what stereo you've got as too whether you cut wires or not
(14:th-Aug-2018, 07:55:06)Rusty2009 Wrote: [ -> ]sometimes there are kits from on the Facebook group.

I have connects2 interface to list up for sell at some point.

I still got your fascia for the above Kit Rusty
Hi I got a Vauxhall Astra GTC 2014 1.6t 197bhp and Purchased Pioneer AVH-z9100dab and just wondered what I need I have already got the fascia thanks.

have you got the interface box and patch lead?
(20:th-Feb-2019, 13:35:55)Rusty2009 Wrote: [ -> ]have you got the interface box and patch lead?

I have now got the interface box and patch lead just got to get the aerial adapter , think I got everything now thanks.

Ok, finally got my stuff needed. I got a pioneer double din, and CTKVX42 kit.
Unfortunately the steering controls still don't work.
Also, how do I change time and date on the top red screen, it shows wrong date and time and connect2.
And how did u get pioneer on screen??
(17:th-Sep-2019, 10:06:01)Metalhamster Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, finally got my stuff needed. I got a pioneer double din, and CTKVX42 kit.
Unfortunately the steering controls still don't work.
Also, how do I change time and date on the top red screen, it shows wrong date and time and connect2.
And how did u get pioneer on screen??

Push and hold the SRC button to get into the Connects2 interface settings.

From there you can change the date time etc.

Also change steering option from 6 to 7 irrc.
Thanks rusty, must say connect2 were great and quick with any problems.

What did u mean about steering option?
Some of steering controls do the wrong thing, source does volume etc
(18:th-Sep-2019, 09:19:51)Metalhamster Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks rusty, must say connect2 were great and quick with any problems.

What did u mean about steering option?
Some of steering controls do the wrong thing, source does volume etc

Yes Connects2 are really good a company that actually knows how to treat it's customers.

Changing the option of control from 6 to 7 sorts out the issue & makes the controls work correctly.

I know it's not under steering controls in the options. But it's been that long since I've used one I can't think of the correct name it's under.
Thanks again, I'll have a search for that option, do u think it's on the steering controls?
(18:th-Sep-2019, 10:14:34)Metalhamster Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks again, I'll have a search for that option, do u think it's on the steering controls?

I think maybe under BT or something like that If I can dig a kit out I'll set it up on the bench have a look.
What’s the difference between

Ctkvx01 and the ctkvx42 ?
(22:nd-Jan-2020, 00:18:40)Anthonwr Wrote: [ -> ]What’s the difference between

Ctkvx01 and the ctkvx42 ?

The difference between the kits is the colour of the fascia surround.
Hey guys,
First of all thank you Rusty2009 for the guide, I don't think I'd have been able to do this without it! It was so useful.
A small recommendation would be to highlight the bit that needs to be cut off next to the cigarette lighter socket between steps 18 and 19. I kept trying to fit the fascia until I realised it was hitting off that piece!

I am having an issue after the install in that my heating controls (identical to yours Rusty2009) are no longer working. No power to any of them (seats, aircon, demisters, etc.). Has anyone has this problem?

I was struggling to release the connector from the back and broke the plastic clip slightly (on the controls not the wiring loom) but the 3 pins are all there and the connector fits. Anyone know what the problem might be?

Cheers
(20:th-Mar-2020, 19:11:11)Pepiz Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys,
First of all thank you Rusty2009 for the guide, I don't think I'd have been able to do this without it! It was so useful.
A small recommendation would be to highlight the bit that needs to be cut off next to the cigarette lighter socket between steps 18 and 19. I kept trying to fit the fascia until I realised it was hitting off that piece!

I am having an issue after the install in that my heating controls (identical to yours Rusty2009) are no longer working. No power to any of them (seats, aircon, demisters, etc.). Has anyone has this problem?

I was struggling to release the connector from the back and broke the plastic clip slightly (on the controls not the wiring loom) but the 3 pins are all there and the connector fits. Anyone know what the problem might be?

Cheers

All sorted now,middle pin had bent pushing the connector in.
Hi guys,

I know this thread has gone on for a while but has anyone had trouble getting the aftermarket facia on after fitting seems pocket in the centre console is where the 12v socket is, obstructs the facia sitting on right. How did you guys solve this?
Thanks in advanced guys

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
(13:th-May-2020, 18:57:10)jdbarrass Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

I know this thread has gone on for a while but has anyone had trouble getting the aftermarket facia on after fitting seems pocket in the centre console is where the 12v socket is, obstructs the facia sitting on right. How did you guys solve this?
Thanks in advanced guys

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

You need to trim the tray back as in this pic.

[Image: 31.JPG]
You need to trim the hump section back by 25mm.
Also when fitting the new fascia, make sure that you fit the top crossmember so that it's lip fits under the lip of the screen surround.
It is easy to get this to end up on top if you are not looking for it.
It will fit OK, but it's is a bit fiddly.
If like me, you had the Bluetooth module fitted in the car (under the old radio) then it is best to remove this along with its plastic holder.
Then cut away a section of the horizontal plastic peice under the new radio position.
This will then allow you to put the cable harnesses and connects2 box under the new radio in the void.
Room is very tight otherwise.
When all is fitted, go into the settings menu by long press on the steering wheel SOURCE button.
Go to Radio settings
Bluetooth settings
Turn on BLUETOOTH
Set to 7 BUTTONS.

then you are all set.
This last step ensures that the Phone Answer and Phone Hang up buttons work.
Otherwise they will not, and the Hang Up button will just act as a volume Attenuate button and you won't be able to use the steering wheel controls to answer and hang up a call.
Hi, sorry to bump an old thread but I registered just because of this topic.

I got Halfords to fit me a Sony XAV AX3005DB thinking that the £30 odd quid was worth me saving my energy but I sorely regret it. They've shaved a bit off the top part of the head unit to get the aftermarket CTKVX42 fitted and my top screen is now blank. The people in the store seem to have no idea what they're talking about despite "doing it for 20 years" apparently.

I don't have that speaker wire with the black loop on my kit at all so that can't (or can it?) be the issue with the screen. What else could it be? Wrong Connects2 or something?
Pages: 1 2